another 206 1.4 hdi gearbox enquiry whining!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

another 206 1.4 hdi gearbox enquiry whining!!!!!!

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF members,

I have a gearbox problem that appeared on my 206 1.4 hdi 2004 last friday, whilst travelling through Derbyshire to Clowne (not a made up name it really does exist) I noted a whining noise inside the car on the passenger side and it wasnt the missus on this occassion.

It was a obviously higher noise in the higher gears and if I were to "coast" to a stop to rumbling/whining bearing would obviously stop once the vehicle had stopped.

Initially I thought it was the passenger side wheel bearing (so replaced that), took the driveshaft apart to check for "debris or swarf" but all was okay, I then thought maybe oil level but it drank a further litre on top of what was sat below the lower height driveshaft input (unable to locate filling plug on this daft MA gearbox so had to fill it up throught the vent plug on top of the gearbox!!).

put it all together and the same noise!!!!! it is possible to "simply" replace bearings in these gearboxes or are they horrible things to work on?

The Haynes manual states that the 1.4 hdi has the MA gearbox series in it and the 2.0l has the BE4/5 gearbox in, the petrol version 1.1, 1.4, 1.6 is also down in the haynes book as being a MA series.

Does this mean that any gearbox from any 206 of a similar year petrol or diesel or less than 1.6l will fit or does it have to be off a diesel car, (I'm not sure who issues complexes to gearboxes to tell them there either petrol or diesel ) and cant find any relevant data to gear ratios and differences between the 2.

Please could someone help me with bearing sizes and types to help me to repair my gearbox,

Thank you.

Garry
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: another 206 1.4 hdi gearbox enquiry whining!!!!!!

Post by spider »

Although I can't help with specifics:

Later ones do not have a level / filler plug :( , they decided to delete it along with the external fuel filter on petrol engines for some reason, obviously that not applicable in your case but wanted to mention it.

You have a drain plug and fill it elsewhere (through the breather sounds good although not sure) , as far as I can remember I've always just put two litres in these and left them at that, assuming it was drained via the drain plug, note that it won't be quite empty in most cases if you just have a driveshaft out. I'm aware there's still some left in after this, that's normal.

Do you still have the old oil ? no signs of metallic particles in it ? (be it brass / aluminium)

You do need one from a diesel, a petrol gearbox will fit (assuming you get the right type BE / MA) although the ratio's will be wrong, more importantly the final drive will be. If you did fit one I would expect it would go like a rocket then redline at about 75 /85 , trouble is with it running that high up the rev range in a diesel is you'll lose the economy so you need a derv box.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Thank you for the update, I didnt note any metal particles in the oil, it just looked the same cloudy brownish colour I recollect seeing from my other gearbox oil when replacing driveshafts etc.

Could i also ask do you happen to know or does anyone know the various bearing sizes in the gearbox (MA) and their types: i.e I think the diff bearing are tapered roller bearings (2x) 38x63x17 but what other bearings are in the MA box that may contribute to the whining noise? i suppose the must be 2 on the first line and 2 on the second but have no idea on sizes and if they are taper roller/ball/cylindrical/needles etc :!:

any help gratefully appreciated

Yours hoping to "try and dismantle a gearbox and then rebuild it to get ride of the rumbling bearing" 8-[

Garry
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Andy says you need to drain fully then put a known quantity (2lt's ) back in, and yes the breather is the best/easiest point to fill these box's,
it always used to be said you loose around 1lt of oil by pulling the drive shafts, but i dont trust this idea these days as it dosent seem to follow every time,

i would also check the other wheel bearing before condemning the gear box, because it is not always clear which bearing is failing by driving the car as the sound transmits,

i have seen several cases were people have thought and replaced the bearing they though was the culprit only to find it was the other side
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Unless you have good engineering facilities I wouldn't try repairing the gearbox, I used to dismantle/stroke reassemble them with a vice, lump hammer and various spacers and drifts, I don't know that you can do that now, if it is the gearbox a seconhand one would be the best way to go although unless the noise is really excessive I wouldn't worry about it. Could be the other bearing though as Malcolm says.

Peter