Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD electrical problem - UPDATE

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD electrical problem - UPDATE

Post by shaunlfc1 »

Hi all,

Yesterday I was driving the van and about 20minutes into my drive I realized the fuel gauge, temperature gauge and rev counter had stopped working. Then when I went to make a turn the indicators were not working either. Nor was the stereo.

I got to my destination assuming it was just a fuse, spent 4 hours riding my bike, came back to the van loaded up and went to drive home and the van didnt start. It was cranking, glowplugs were working (light on dashboard) and relay kicking in and out but clearly the engine was not getting fuel. So I assumed the fuel pump stop solenoid was in the close position and on the same loop as the indicators, instrument panel.

Changed the fuse but as soon as I turned on the ignition bang goes the fuse. Put in a 25amp fuse and bang again. So I jammed a screwdriver in the fuse put it back in and cranked and she started first time took the fuse out and without hesitation drove home praying I didnt stall it.

I got home and before I turned it off I put a multimeter on the battery and it was charging at just under 15 amps so it cant be the alternator.

This morning I've set about trying to work out whats gone wrong. Attempted to start the van again with the screw driver but with no avail at all.

Anyone got an idea what I need to look at, any wiring diagrams available? I'm thinking now that i've burnt out some wiring as it wont start.

Is this a common problem?

Your help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Shaun
Last edited by shaunlfc1 on 06 Jun 2012, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD electrical problem

Post by spider »

Hmm not sure about a screwdriver to replace a fuse :o

Take out all the other fuses (obviously if alternator is fused leave that one in or you'll burn it out immediately) apart from the one that blows.

Turn ignition on, hopefully it will not pop this time and you can insert the fuses you removed to determine which is the cause.

It sounds like you have a straight short between the ignition feed and earth somewhere. Examine engine bay fusebox (I think they have one, not sure about Boxers really, more general advice) and main battery leads etc.

I might be able to find some wiring diagrams but I don't have access to my tech data today.

It could be something as simple as the wiring shorting on the column or perhaps the wiper switch shorted out. Basically unplug everything until you find the initial cause if you cannot see where to start.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD electrical problem

Post by shaunlfc1 »

Thanks for the advice.

Spent all day investigating. Luckily early on once I dropped the bottom half of the dash off I saw a burnt/melted cable. I removed the whole dash. Traced the cable back to the earth point on the bulk head just behind the steering wheel to the left of the instrument panel (has 5 earths going into one terminal bolted to bulk head). Then proceeded to trace it into the engine bay and it went to another earth point under the air filter. This earth point seemed a little coroded.

So basically i've gotta install a new earth lead it seems. With this cable disconnected I popped the fuse back in, the one that was always blowing as soon as I put ignition on, and this time the fuse didnt blow and she fired up first time. Obviously with all the dash out I could not see if my dials were working again but everything else seem to work as I plugged some switches back in, lights included, but the one thing still not working its seems are the indicators. The hazards work but not the indicators when operating the stalk.

Anyway, tricky wiring job for me coming up.

Thanks again,

Shaun
shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD electrical problem - UPDATE

Post by shaunlfc1 »

Fitted a new earth lead today from the dash bulk head near the steering wheel into the engine bay and down to the earth point under the air filter. Went reasonably well in respect that the van will start, no blowing of fuses etc... I've reconnected the instrument panel and stereo, they both work which is a major improvement on Sunday. But the indicators still do not work.

I've check the front bulbs seem to be fine. I'm not getting 12v at the bulb socket with a multi-meter with the ignition on. Headlights, windscreen wipers all work so do brake lights.

I disconnected the earth lead that i've just replaced and to my surprise the van still started and all the above worked apart from the indicators still. Weird how with a burnt out earth lead connected nothing worked as reported during Sunday's drive.

Could it be the indicator relay??? If so anyone know where it is and how to test it?

Any other thoughts on why the van will start without the earth lead connected?

Thanks for your help!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Do your hazard lights work? If not you have a supply failure.

Your earth lead is probably earthed somewhere else as well, it was probably the s/c in the burnt loom that was causing the problem.

Peter
shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Post by shaunlfc1 »

Hazards worked fine on Sunday when the problem first reared its head, I actually didnt check that last night, I will do as soon as I get home, hopefully if they do then the supply will be fine and it'll point to the relay?

BTW what does s/c mean? Assuming short circuit?

Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, short circuit, sorry.
shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Post by shaunlfc1 »

All sorted reason the indicators were not working is that the hazard switch has to be connected for the indicators to work. Just gotta put rest of dashboard back on then were back up and running!
Thanks all for the help.

Shaun
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's right. Pleased you got it fixed.

Peter