total recovery after total confusion (806hdi 2.0 16 valves)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aliben

total recovery after total confusion (806hdi 2.0 16 valves)

Post by aliben »

Re: total confusion (806hdi 2.0 16 valves)

Hello all and many thanks to Peter.N., fynnbar and Joker for your answers(it's always nice to see that some people out there are willing to help). I also apologize for not having got back to you sooner.
Second and last episode(hopefully). Skipping the details, we found 4 different problems, one probably related to the injector removal, not to the injector itself.
With the time ticking(I was supposed to go to Morocco, {by car, yes! this very one} in the next 3 days when I first wrote the post), I decided to check the egr valve. God bless peugeot's engineers, it took me about 2 hours 1/2 to
unscrew the 2 bolts holding the egr pipe at the back of the engine. I approached the problem from different angles, from over the engine, from the right side wheel arch, from the left side and from underneath. Eventually, managed to get egr valve-pipe out only to find it in pristine condition. Never mind, I blanked it with a metal plate and plugged the solenoid vacuum pipe.
Another potential problem ruled out but no improvement yet.
By then, my brother in law(truck driver in Africa, therefore a bit of a mechanic, by force)had come to my rescue.
As I was revving the engine and getting to the misfire point (around 3 150r/min) He press on the turbo boost(with a long rod), there we went, no more misfire or smoke, I then decided to rev up without touching the turbo boost but by mannualy opening the swirl valve, there we went again, no more misfire or smoke.
At that point, we decided to check the vacuum circuit more thoroughly. That was it, one of the pipe was very hard to blow into(after disconnecting it from the vacuum pump) so we redrilled the hole in the connector, thereafter, air (or vacuum) was coming through.
We then decided to check the swirl diaphragm, which actually had a crack. My bro in law send for... superglue(Africa drivers' best friend), one drop on the crack... everything fine. Since I was slightly skeptical about the efficiency and durability of this "method" he went on to tell me that in Africa, they fix the brake diaphragm(120psi) with superglue and it works fine(usually). Also, I saw, directly underneath the diapragm, a broken piece of plastic, ball shaped. That actually was the swirl diaphragm rod's tip end that pushes open or close the swirl business letting more or less air into the manifold at the time of acceleration. We fixed this(the african way of course) by drilling a hole across the rod into which we slid a bent piece of metal hanger which we tightened on the other end to the the swirl "flap". Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology but I can try to upload some pictures if it helps.
Lastly, I checked that short piece of rubber pipe(turbo) that people often found to be split, mine was fine but the top collar ring was not tightened properly even though I pulled down the pipe quite strongly and nothing moved but I managed to tightened the collar's 8 mm screw about three full turns.
After all this, put everything back together, as soon as the engine started I felt "that's not the same car!" Nice torque, come 2000 revs, really starts pulling, come 2300, turbo kicks in, 2500 , turbo's full blast, what a change. By then, I was supposed to travel the next day, which I did and drove 5000 miles in 16 days without problem. It has been(ever since)the best motor I ever had. Again I thank all those who share their experience thereby seeking to help others and I also thank the administrators of these forums who help people saving quite a lot of money. Though a "bit" long ,I hope this post will be of use to others. Many thanks to all.

aliben
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: total recovery after total confusion (806hdi 2.0 16 valv

Post by CitroJim »

That's fantastic Aliben :-D Delighted it all came good and very happy to see the engine responding well to a bit of ingenuity by way of repairs. Many think it can't be done but there, you’ve just proved it can!

Superglue can be some wonderful stuff 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aliben

Post by aliben »

Jim,
Many thanks for your cheering message.

I've now bought a ldv Convoy(no laugh please). Not that I've had enough of peugeot but rather the ldv lwb in one of the largest van around and I need it to take the all family back to Morocco> Must admit, I wouldn't mind fitting my "Africa Queen 806" engine in the van if it was possible, but hey! There you go, live goes on, just have to adapt(or at least, try to). Regards
Aliben
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

great result there Aliben :)

john
aliben

Post by aliben »

thanks John
The car is still running great(hopefully for anther ten years.
Regards.
Aliben