Expert brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms

Expert brake problem

Post by ohms »

Got into the expert this evening and as soon as I touched the brakes I noticed that something was wrong. The pedal seems to need a lot of pressure to stop. At first I thought there must be a leak, split hose, but got out to check and no sign of any leaks. I then tested the brakes before carrying on to work and they still work great, but require a lot more pressure than usual. Kind of like there's no servo assistance, same as when being towed without the engine running.

It's a 1.9td with the XUd engine. I'm thinking maybe vac pump failure, sound likely? Not heard of one fail before, any ideas appreciated.

91 Citroen AX 1.4D
99 BMW M Coupe
sean86

Re: Expert brake problem

Post by sean86 »

did you check the vac hoses for leaks?
02 xsara 1.9
98 106 gti 1.6
99 xsara 1.9
98 xantia 1.8
95 405 1.9
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: Expert brake problem

Post by Oldpug »

If you have a "Hard" pedal with no travel the servo is not working correctly.As said first check for leaks,follow the vac`pipe from the servo to the vac` pump which fits on the end of the cylinder head and is driven by the camshaft.Some models have a small "T" piece as well with an extra small vac` pipe that supplies something else??.Make sure all these are in good condition with no leaks.The favorite cause of a split vac` pipe on Pug diesels is the plastic engine cover (if fitted) braking its fittings and rubbing a hole in the pipe.If all is well with the pipes it will be the vac` pump.Simple test,remove pipe from pump,start engine,and "feel" for suction at the pump outlet. Very simple job to replace a pump,just make sure its located in the camshaft correctly and the "O" ring is also located before tightening.