106 running issue with added confusion....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

106 running issue with added confusion....

Post by rossnunn »

So, after my last running issue (cured by changing the plugs & in-bank coil pack for a external 8v unit) all has been well for months.
All was also well right upto this morning too when on the way into work the dreaded cough came back. Only slightly to start with but now the car is all but undrivable.
SO tonight I set about trying to diagnose the problem.
Firstly I took the car for a drive, stopped, pulled a lead off & drive again. I repeated this for all plugs & theres no difference. (my thoughts being if it were a dead plug or lead the running would be different with it plugged in to not & if there was more than one it would point to a coil pack as they fire in pairs)
Next I pulled the crank sensor & it ovbviously didnt start, plugged it back in & she fired right up. (if the crank sensor had failed wouldn't I get a engine managment light?)
I next wondered about maybe a dirty earth & out of the ones I found only 1 was bad which I cleaned up but still no luck.
If you can ride the coughing 1k~4ishk it seems to pull well right up to the red line.

& now for the confusing bit........it runs perfect 100% cough free & sweet as a nut................in reverse?!?!

So what could cause such bad running - but only when going forwards????
The car idles fine and also when stopped will hold revs without hesitation

Oh btw its a 2000 (W) 106 GTi with alot of miles on the clock.

Thanks
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: 106 running issue with added confusion....

Post by Lighty »

From what your saying, if it definitely doesnt do it on reverse, hen it as to be a bad electrical connection.
I think you will have to undo every plug and check, but trace all the wiring, especially inside that nasty plastic conduit.
We get lads of corroded harness.s, where water lies in this stuff, and years of small movement wears the wires through.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd agree I think, the slight "twist" if you like when driving may be enough to cause it. You do need to check all plugs, start with the ones at the front panel (the large round ones) if they are fitted to the GTi, take them apart and examine them.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Can you hear it missing when its at idle? if so let it idle and gently move/wiggle all wiring connectors and looms, it should start to run right when you wiggle the affending part, i would start with the wiring you disturbed last time as moving it probably improved the contacts and let it run fine for a while.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

HI guys,

Thanks for the replys, electrical sounds fair game.

I vaguely remember somewhere in the depths of french car ownership reading about a problem with the main engine harness plugs (the 2 circular ones) curroding or arcing so I decicded to start the electrical hunt here. I pulled them apart & all looks perfect, damn - so then I started the long process of checking every connector & eath points starting from the main engine harness connecors & working clockwise round the engine bay a few hours of rain running down my neck later & one of the last remaining connectors was one of the most obvious - the map sensor sits on the offside end of the intake manifold & this was the plug when I removed it:

So this looks like it could be a good contender for the culprit. I cut the plug off & managed to dissasemble the actual plug, rewire it & reattach it.
The reattachment is not pretty but it would do for now & I'll get a new plug next time im up our local breakers.

& the result? Well I took it for a quick run tonight & all seems well again. :-D althought I cant explain why it ran fine in reverse?

Thanks for all your help guys you were spot on =D> :mrgreen: