V6 not starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rasta-Far-I

V6 not starting

Post by Rasta-Far-I »

Hi everyone, I've got a v6 engine from a 98 Peugeot 406 coupe it's the early single plug type. I'm trying to get it started in my garage, Ive got the main loom with the immobiliser, key pick up coil, ignation barrel and clocks plugged in. When I turn the ignation on the stop light stays on and it won't start there is a strong smell of fuel when cranking, I have no diagnostic equipment. How do you tell if the immobiliser is being deactivated when I turn the key because there is no key light built into the clocks? Is there more to the anti start than the code in the key matching the ecu and immobiliser? Thanks
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Well, it does sound like there's no spark as the immobiliser isn't releasing the engine ECU. Perhaps the key is no longer being recognised, or the aerial broken?

If the donor was an auto, you may need some feedback to the ECU there - three pins "talk" to the engine but at least one of them only modulates power delivery to avoid destroying the box.

Engine ECU pins 13 and 55 are probably the diagnostics line out, but not sure if you can get flashing light codes from them - normally they go into the 30 pin connector read by Peugeot Planet.
Rasta-Far-I

Re: V6 not starting

Post by Rasta-Far-I »

The engine and ecu are from a manual but the main loom I am using could possibly be from an auto I'm not sure, I have also tried another aerial cheers
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm not sure everything needed, is there.

406 V6s of that era came with both IR and RF locking and may rlease the engine ECU differently, also I am not certain that you can mix/match a CPH and engine ECU so readily. Do you have the VIN of the engine's original chassis?
Rasta-Far-I

Re: V6 not starting

Post by Rasta-Far-I »

Hi, I have almost every loom from the car plugged in now with the matching alarm and central locking ECU's. The alarm activated then deactivated straight away when I turned the key, also the buttons on the key fob work too it's not the IR type and I don't have the VIN ether. Could anyone confirm if the wire 121 is the fuel pump? If so I'm getting voltage here, does the fuel pump prime if the immobiliser is not deactivating? Cheers