106 heater trim

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

106 heater trim

Post by spider »

Hmm.

On 306's and (most!) 106's, probably Saxo's too, inside the radio arpeture there's two nuts holding the top of the heater / vent panel in place.

However on mine, these are not present. There's some kind of (not sure how best to describe it) a open ended figure of eight spring clip. I had a mirror and torch in to see exactly but I could not move them with various pliers. They don't appear to be snap fit to remove either as I'd already applied a large amount of force to attempt to move the panel.

Any thoughts please ? , Generally I am finding some very odd (but not in a bad way) differences between this one and say a V/W plate model.

I built it back up but when I have a go again in a few days I'll try to take a picture if needed. I think I'm missing something obvious really. From what I can see in theory squeezing the O part should move the tangs out (on the outside) and compress the other end allowing removal but tis difficult to see and even more fiddly to work through the tiny letterbox :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Re: 106 heater trim

Post by spider »

It (appears) you're supposed to squeeze them a little bit then pull the panel out with a lot of force (!) either that or "just pull it out" , we'll see when I get around to it. The only good thing I guess is there are plenty of spare ones if I do break it in the process.

I'd have to assume the design changed to this to facilitate quick assembly (ie push it together and it locks) as previously the assembler would of had to fit the nuts either before or after the fascia was put into the car. In either case a "push it into place" is quicker and more economical for assembly than two nuts.

On a similar vein, I remember a cost saving was made with 306's, by not fitting a sidelight bulb into the instrument panel after about 1995. Does not sound much but over a few thousand cars, it does add up to a saving...
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote: On a similar vein, I remember a cost saving was made with 306's, by not fitting a sidelight bulb into the instrument panel after about 1995. Does not sound much but over a few thousand cars, it does add up to a saving...
The C5 is the same, not a good thing.
spider

Post by spider »

myglaren wrote:
spider wrote: On a similar vein, I remember a cost saving was made with 306's, by not fitting a sidelight bulb into the instrument panel after about 1995. Does not sound much but over a few thousand cars, it does add up to a saving...
The C5 is the same, not a good thing.
If I have the panel out of the 106 I'll see if its got one too, not sure if it will have though. The earlier pre facelift models will no doubt have one.

Regarding the panel itself, it did eventually come out with a lot of force (!) so much the clip bent a bit, although was easy enough to remove and then straighten then clip back in, all good. :)
Andy.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

As for price saving on bulbs, early Saxos had only one fog light bulb but on the opposite side its rear light fitting had the holder and wiring in place. All that was needed was a bulb. On later Saxos the holder and wiring had gone. I fitted a few bulbs in the second foglight light on eary ones.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
spider

Post by spider »

I remember that on some 306's (I think it was 306's) too. The holder was there, sometimes with a plastic stopper you could snap out.
Andy.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

spider wrote:sometimes with a plastic stopper you could snap out.
Yep, same with the Saxos :?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10