206 BCI Body ECU location help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

greg123
My Cars:

206 BCI Body ECU location help

Post by greg123 »

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 1.6 auto 206CC with a no-start (cranks, dash lights up, 'economy mode' is activated and when scanning the engine ECU it says 'ECU Locked' on the snap-on scanner, but pulls codes for throtle body and MAP sensor) which was working fine till all of a sunnden it wouldn't start one morning.

I have probed various power lines to the coil etc and found a lot that should be powered isn't powering up, all supplied by the unit directly behind the passenger headlamp under the bonnet with part number 9646405280 B8M B3. On phoning BBA who are aware of the non-start common issue caused by a bad BCI the part number they say is just a fusebox and told me to get the BCI out from under the dash. Under the glovebox/dash out etc all I can see is a small alarm ECU on the bulkhead and the main internal fusebox - I can't find this so called internal BCI.

Does anyone know for sure where the BCI is located? Is it this one under the bonnet? I have found two of them for sale which the breakers say are 'plug and play' but reading threads on here/elsewhere they say it's also the immobliser and only peugeot planet can code one in and that has to be new, not a 2nd hand unit.....

Autodata and two others do not have ANY location info on the BCI.

If anyone can direct me to be able to confirm where/which unit it actually is I stand a chance of getting the right one tested. I'm VW/Audi so I don't have peugeot workshop manuals to be able to just look up the removal procedure and locations.

Any pointers appreciated, Greg.
Tdi VAG mechanic & vegoil converter
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 206 BCI Body ECU location help

Post by citronut »

i might be completely wrong here but does an 03 have a BSI,

the last 206 i worked on that didn't/wouldn't start, it turned out to be the double sized brown relay under the main ECU on the inner wing behind the O/S head lamp,

on this car the plastic body of the relay had at sometime had a chunk broken from it, and the allowed the relay to fill up with water which obviously did it no good at all,

i have also heard this relay does fail in normal conditions,

regards malcolm
greg123
My Cars:

Post by greg123 »

The one under the bonnet looks like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-307-1 ... 1c25a34517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(minus the broken box!) When you look at the wiring diagram, there is an ECU and relays built into the unit. I can't see anything that unplugs which could be a large relay at the rear, all I can see is wiring plugs and fuses that plug into it.

HOWEVER, I found some more info on another autodata program last night and the BCI is shown (with a picture, calling it the BCI) and the picture was of the fusebox under the steering wheel. According to that data program the fusebox is also the body control. BUT, the part number when I ebay it comes up with 'fusebox' however that could be because everyone selling one doesn't know what it is....

There is no water issues under the bonnet that I can find including in the ECU connections, blade holders for the fuses, multi plugs etc.

Greg.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is one type/make of 206 ECU which is usually on the O/S inner front wing with the double brown relay underneath,

http://tinyurl.com/cvn34c5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

An 03 plate will deffo have a BSI unit.
If it has the same under bonnet fusebox as the one in the first picture (known as the BSM or BM34) then it wont have the brown 'double' relay , on cars with com2000 this has been done away with & its now in internal part of the under bonnet fusebox.
The unit inside the car is known as the BSI & which is also part of the imobiliser function & a second hand one is not 'plug & play' unless you also use the injetion ECU & a transponder key from the same car as they are all a matched set. Peugeot planet CAN'T re program a second hand one to a different car, only new ones.
The under bonnet fusebox (BSM) however is plug & play with second hand units as long as its from the same spec of car & doesent require any programming.
The BSI (the one inside the car) has little to do with the powering up of engine components & failures of them are actually pretty rare.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I had one of these in this week, and the BSI had lost all of its coding , quite rare on a 206, as far as I have come across. Had lots of 307 that have done it.
The BSI loses chassis no etc etc, and behaves like a brand new one. Usually if you reprogram it all then everything will work again. This would explain the ECU locked state, as the key coding will be lost.
Best get the car onto a Pug Planet and go into the BSI, see if it has a chassis no stored, or just a line of question marks.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
greg123
My Cars:

Post by greg123 »

Ok thanks guys. So basically, it's the interior 'fusebox' that's the bsi and this one having failed/lost coding could be the issue as erratic instruments, no start, 'economy mode' etc are all symptoms. I may just send it to BBA but if I can get some peugeot planet on it soon enough I'll do that first.

Cheers, Greg.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

just to clarify, economy mode is not a fault, its a power saving feature, it's displaying this on the dash because the ignition has been on for too long without the engine starting, the car wont come out of economy mode till the engine starts.
greg123
My Cars:

Post by greg123 »

It was saying 'economy mode' the previous two weeks, for no apprant reason (starting fine, battery fully charged) prior to the failure to start, it's not since the non start issue.

The BSI and the engine ECU (to pull immob codes out of) as well as the engine fuse/relay box are all on my desk being sent off tomorrow so I'll let you all know what the result is. The guy that's doing them for me did 6 over the weekend...

Greg.