Glow Plug Relay 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Glow Plug Relay 306

Post by myglaren »

Anyone know where the glow-plug relay is on a 1997 'R' 306 D-Turbo?

My son's will intermittently refuse to start and the glow plug indicator doesn't illuminate.

Had a bit of a poke around today with no success other than it is starting with no problems :?
Couldn't locate the relay though.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Glow Plug Relay 306

Post by spider »

Behind the battery box / tray or on the rear (bulkhead) side of it in most cases.

It could be the bulb has actually blown, on that year onwards (iirc most of them on the facelift) it uses a temp sensor to determine how long to operate it for, I think if that's faulty it can not illuminate too. Early models were just time controlled (typically 6 to 8 seconds) regardless of engine / air temp.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote:Behind the battery box / tray or on the rear (bulkhead) side of it in most cases.

It could be the bulb has actually blown, on that year onwards (iirc most of them on the facelift) it uses a temp sensor to determine how long to operate it for, I think if that's faulty it can not illuminate too. Early models were just time controlled (typically 6 to 8 seconds) regardless of engine / air temp.
Thanks spider. Checked the one in the fusebox behind the battery, there is one on the bulkhead that looks too lightweight also some under the dash that also look to lightweight.
Can see the cable dives down behind the engine but lost it after that.

The glowplug indicator does light so it isn't a blown bulb but when it doesn't light the car won't fire up.
It is more likely to happen when it is cold, late at night, when he needs it to go to work.
spider

Post by spider »

I'd suspect the sensor then, as far as I can tell on the XUDT its part of the relay itself, the DW8 has an external one in the thermostat housing (or the HDi does, I forget which) as its just an ambient air temperature sensor. NA models are a bit different I think.

Its also wired to the microswitch on the pump (the load lever) which I've not known cause a problem.

The relay is quite large and has two heavy cables and a multiplug fitted to it, so you cannot miss it. Are you sure its not actually bolted to the battery box itself at the back / side ? , that's where it normally lives. It should not be around the back of the engine. Look behind the battery (between battery and bulkhead)

I think the heavy cables are bolted on, eyelet style fittings. I would say its black but mine was blue but most are black. Usual precautions as its potentially a permanent live unfused cable.

If it came to me I'd replace the relay as a starting point, they can fail intermittently but that's not common but the symptoms are pointing that way.

EDIT... Ensure he's not touching the pedal when he switches the ignition on, it should not matter but it is wired to the load lever switch which in turn is connected to it.
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks again Spider.
None of the relays I saw have heavy enough wiring to be suspected of being the right one. there is one on the bulkhead behind the battery bit very lightweight and thin weedy wires.

He's had the car three years and never had this problem previously, just started last week when he moved out.

Car going the journey in a couple of weeks when he passes his bike test and buys a bike.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i thought they were bolted to the back or the front of the battery box,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Malcolm, will have another poke around.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

and its usually a large black box with to cables one slightly heavier gauge than the other attached onto posts and a long plug connector as in this ebay listing

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Malcolm, going to pop round there soon as he is up and about now although I think he's going for a motorbike lesson today as his test is tomorrow, I think.

ETA: Just had a text from him and he's bringing it here and swiping my car.
spider

Post by spider »

You can't miss it. :) Unless someone moved it but nearly all of them are around that area, exception being some around the nearside front inner wing, I think only some 205's lived there.
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Found it, don't know how I could have missed it but succeeded anyway.
Was going to remove it but couldn't find the tools needed - Bob drove off in my car with the tools in it - genius!
Will cobble it somehow but the washing machine finished so went to hang the washing out and got talking to the guy next door who was wondering what I'd done with my rear window - he saw me soldering the broken wires the other night and thought I must have lost my temper with it and heaved a hammer through it.

Another hour gone forever :roll:

But what is this?

Just dangles around below the gp relay?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:he saw me soldering the broken wires the other night and thought I must have lost my temper with it and heaved a hammer through it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know Steve, I can't ever imagine you ever even contemplating such an act, even when you can't find a 306 GP relay!!!

Whatever have you done in the past to give your neighbours the impression you might? The mind boggles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

:D I knew it would not be far away.

The one with the red clip looks like the ticky-tac (tachometric) relay, ie: the ignition double relay, quite why they fit them on a TD I'm not sure.

The other one, um I'd say either dim dip lighting (do you have that) / daytime running lights. Less likely EGR relay. Not 100% sure off hand.
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

myglaren wrote: succeeded anyway.
my African grey does that inbetween non stop talking

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team