pug 206 won't start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

holly76

pug 206 won't start

Post by holly76 »

hi, my peugeot 206 1.4 petrol 52plate, has an intermittent starting problem. sometimes it will start fine othertimes it will not. when it fails. the air bag light is on and it cranks over ok. it just does not fire.

your help would be much appreciated.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: pug 206 won't start

Post by CitroJim »

holly76 wrote:hi, my peugeot 206 1.4 petrol 52plate, has an intermittent starting problem. sometimes it will start fine othertimes it will not. when it fails. the air bag light is on and it cranks over ok. it just does not fire.

your help would be much appreciated.
Hi Holly, welcome to the forum :-D

How often does it fail to start? Is it often and what do you or the car do to finally make it start?

Does it just decide to start or no on a whim?

Sorry for the questions but as much detail as possible will help us greatly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

To add to Jim's questions:

Do you have more than one key ? , try the other key if you do.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
holly76

Post by holly76 »

it seems to do it at random. it started fine two days in sucsesion then then it failed again. i tried an hour later and it started. when it failed i tried my other key and it still would not start. i have tried locking up then unlocking and trying again. every time it fails the airbag light is on! somtimes i switch on the ignition and the lights go through there start up, the air bag light will momentatrly go out then come back on. and it will fail to start. i have gone through all the fuses. i found one under the bonnet slightly blackend on the terminal. i cleaned this off and refit a few times to clean the socket. this seems to have made no diffrence.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What about the warning light (orange) with a little picture of a key on it? Does that recur when it won't start?

Also, if you spray a little ether spray or similar starting fluid into the air intake when it won't start, does it then cough at all?
spider

Post by spider »

A diagnostic may reveal the cause, my initial thought is the transponder aerial to be honest as they can fail intermittently.

There's no immo light on a 206.
Andy.

holly76

Post by holly76 »

thanks for your help guys

i have not seen any other lights. i have not tried ether spray. but when the air bag light is out, it starts up no problem. when you say transponder aerial do you mean the ring around the lock? would this cause the airbag light?

reading other posts, though not identical seem to blame the comm 2000 unit with the airbag , could this be the cause, is it more than switch gear and a junction box?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Quite possibly, the airbag circuit doesn't self-test until it knows the car will fire. Hence the light staying on.

Your transponder aerial is separate to the stalk assembly and as Andy mentiones, can fail. Not that dear new; while you can "swap and pray" as a means to test for failed items, it's best to go new for such pieces as failure isn't always convenient!

0000616068 pre multiplex - Louth's have one on Fleabay at 15 squid.
0000616076 multiplexed (and forever after in 206s) - one for £6.55+P/P at Peugeotcarparts.net
spider

Post by spider »

I'd agree a new one too. They are not expensive as can be seen. If it came to the workshop with these symptoms I'd probably change this as a matter of course, as its difficult to diagnose when they go intermittent.
Andy.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Out of curiosity, d'you reckon there is any risk to the clockspring if one liberally throws circuit freezing spray around a stalk assembly or Comm 2000 unit?
spider

Post by spider »

Unlikely but I'd not really want to do that myself.
Andy.

holly76

Re:

Post by holly76 »

addo wrote:Quite possibly, the airbag circuit doesn't self-test until it knows the car will fire. Hence the light staying on.

Your transponder aerial is separate to the stalk assembly and as Andy mentiones, can fail. Not that dear new; while you can "swap and pray" as a means to test for failed items, it's best to go new for such pieces as failure isn't always convenient!

0000616068 pre multiplex - Louth's have one on Fleabay at 15 squid.
0000616076 multiplexed (and forever after in 206s) - one for £6.55+P/P at Peugeotcarparts.net
this seems sensible enough. i have ordered on from peugeotcarparts came to £10.60 with carrage and ene extortonate vat. but i suppose it's cheaper than the comm 2000 unit. i agree with your opinion of ebay parts. some unscroupulos people are selling broken parts after fixing there car.
holly76

Post by holly76 »

ok, i got the part today, and fitted it. it started before i fitted it. but it still starts after my fiddling! i'll have to try it over the next few days to see if i have fixed it.
holly76

Post by holly76 »

hi guys. it has failed again this morning. the same fault, air bag light staying on and the engine cranking but not fireing. should i bee looking at the comm 2000 unit. or any other sugestions.

thanks for the help so far.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It might be worth checking the "Lexia Locations" topic in Super-Stickies, just to see if anyone with a diagnostic machine's within cooee of yourself.

As a related question, when the warning lights stay on like this, does the interior light turn off faster than normal and can you hear an audible click if/when it does?