sensor&rear suspension on 406

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rongee68

sensor&rear suspension on 406

Post by rongee68 »

i have a brake fluid low warning come on, i think i saw somewhere that its a sensor on the handbrake thats causing the problem or is it a sensor somewhere else. also where is this sensor located exactly.
the rear suspension also clonks, i think its bushes on the wishbones (or whatever theyre called) i also think ive read that they cant be replaced as individual parts ie whole wishbone has to be replaced. if that is the case where is the cheapest place to get them as im thinking they will be expensive. any info on these two items will be appreciated, thanks
ron
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: sensor&rear suspension on 406

Post by Oldpug »

Get a genuine hand brake warning light switch from a Dealer for a few quid. Its located by the hand brake lever,bit of a fiddly, part removal of consul job.The most common cause of knocking rear suspension is the "track rods".These are the links that have a bush one end and a ball joint the other.Jack it up and check the rear wheel as you would for steering play.The bolt through the bush has an eccentric washer for adjusting the tracking,mark it before removal and refit in same position if the link has to be replaced.GSF or Euro car parts can supply the links for about £20 each.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

On multiplexed 406's (2000 or newer typically) the brake fluid level sensor can under cornering also cause this to come on. IIRC, there was an update to fix this (sometimes) as it sometimes protested about it even when it was full.

My monies on the handbrake switch though as Oldpug has said.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
rongee68

Post by rongee68 »

thanks guys, i already replaced one of the rear track rods thats why i think its bushes, im not sure they can be replaced thats why i asked about wishbones, any info on them would be good. thanks
ron
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think the bush low down on the hub carrier breaks up, if it is these they can be replaced on there own and are fitted into an eye on the hub carrier,

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the OE part No. and dealer price, then you could aim the No. at your local factors to cross refferance them,

but i certainly would NOT use ECP as i find there bushing crap,
use either GSF or if you have a local factors that sell Motorquipe as this brand is part of the PSA group, so they are good quality

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for the pin ball joint as pug call it

Reference Description Quantity Price - VAT Price + VAT Total + VAT Selection
0000364041 PIN BALL-JOINT 21.62 GBP 25.94 GBP 25.94 GBP

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars: