Help translating OBD readouts.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rookie
My Cars:

Help translating OBD readouts.

Post by rookie »

Hello chaps.

I've been waiting for my new lexia to arrive from China. Finally arrived and activated it and set it up on the car.

Pug 802 2.0ltr petrol with LPG fitted
2001 67000 miles

I have been having a gearbox problem for some time. In an earlier post, with the help of "Jim", i discovered that the AL4 box had been filled with dexron. I changed this on two occassions over a 300 mile period, ensuring the levels were correct each time. It seemed to ease the problem I was having and I hoped that the change of oil to the correct spec had cured the problem.

Alas, I spoke to soon. The peugeot started the old symptoms again, so I decided that a gearbox change was necessary but decided to buy the lexia first and see just exactly what was going on.

So the car pulls away from rest very sluggishly (as if it is in winter mode), once moving, it pulls fine, but pulling away uphill is a pain. When the engine is cold (first thing in the morning) for the first 5 miles or so, the gearbox bangs a gear and goes into limp home mode. Stopping the engine and restarting clears it, but it will repeat untill the engine temperature is normal and the heat has got into the auto box oil. For the rest of the day, it very rarely has a fault.

So I put the lexia on and it came back with the following.

Auto Transmission Control Unit
Intermittent fault
Fault in pressure Regulator. Variation/Recommended
Fault code 6

Automativ Transmission Control Unit
Intermittent fault
Gearbox Output Engine Speed Signal fault. No Signal.
Fault code 92

Engine Speed 2560 rpm
Auto gearbox Input Speed (measured) 2272
Gear Engaged 1 De-Bypassed

Auto Transmission Control Unit
Intermittent fault
Pressure Control Signal Fault
Fault code 66

The oil counter was also way past max so i zero'd that, cleared the fault codes, carried out all of the actuator tests and then drove the car. It drove a lot better but i am not kidding myself that it is anywhere near what it should be. Still sluggish at "Pull Away" but goes through the gears and no slipping when driving along.

Could it be possible that a new "Oversized Pressure reglator" reamed into the valve block will cure it?
A new valve block off ebay £395?
Or an exchange gearbox.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks in advance
rookie
My Cars:

Re: Help translating OBD readouts.

Post by rookie »

Sorry, that should have been "Pug 806"
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Pressure regulation is by solenoid; it's one of the two that commonly let go. Buy new off AliExpress if you are game, or buy them from Renault (same part, different number).

To go out on a limb, I suspect that a cretin has played "swapsies" with the trans ECU whilst trying to rectify the solenoid issues. If you cannot read the unit's characteristics (version number etc), that is a highly probable situation. The output speed sensor is bloody hard to access in-situ on many cars; check for a dodgy connection if you get continuity on the sensor itself.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it does look like the pressure regulation electrovalves are unhappy but those speed sensor faults are very worrying. After you cleared all those faults, did any come back after a good drive?

The one that concerns me a bit is the disparity between engine speed and input speed. This almost suggests the torque convertor is slipping badly and unable to transmit power properly in first gear. That really will make for a sluggish pullaway..

Take a passenger with you and have them read the live ECU data as you go for a drive, paying particular heed to the engine speed vs. input speed and see if there is any significant slippage recorded.

Rather than a whole new valve block, go for Adam's suggestion...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

Jim/Addo,
Thanks of rgetting back to me, I will hook it uo again and have a drive with a passenger doing the reading.
I may be a day or two getting back to you as the wind has been blowing the connifers outside onto the phone line and has produced a line fault. Only getting on the internet sporadically and no chance of getting BT out till after the holidays.

Speak soon

Thankyou