Just bought a 406 GLXTD S REG

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

Just bought a 406 GLXTD S REG

Post by jacksun1987 »

How good and what goodies you get. On a 406 1.9td s reg GLX TD Saloon 160k miles

Just bought my self a 406 glx td for 350 pound. Trading in my corsa for 250 car cost 500
It has mot till november 2012 And now 6 months tax

Are theses 406s any good.
What toys do you get with them.
And what problerms come up with them.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THANKS
Last edited by jacksun1987 on 27 Dec 2011, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
jacksun1987

Re: what toys do u get on a 406 glxtd

Post by jacksun1987 »

Ill love to go back to my citroens
Have a made the right choice getting a 406 then a xantia on relbility. Im not the best with macanicle stuff.
All the electrics seem to work. I sat in 2 xantias. Both had air bag lights on.
Jut dont want it to start causing problerms. I might need to get a new cambelt on it.
I hope next year would be better with monye
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Just bought a 406 GLXTD S REG

Post by Peter.N. »

For reliability yes you have made the right choice. I have been running XM's for 15 years and love them but they are coming to the end of their life so I had to chose something different for a replacement for one, I am still running the other one. I really miss the hydropnumatic ride, space and comfort of the XM but the 406 is so nice to drive - apart from the concrete springs.

I have been judiciously avoiding common rail engines although others seem to like them but when I observed that there were quite a few Hdi's for sale with over 300,000 miles on them that gave me confidence that they were in the same durability league as the XM, so I got one and have not regretted it - apart from the ride :-D

I bought my estate at 189k and it has now done over 200k and has not missed a beat, that coupled with a 60 mpg+ potential has pleased me greatly.

The 1.9 is not as fast or economical but probably cheaper to repair if it does go wrong, the 2.1 has similar performance to the 110 Hdi and is more economical that the 1.9 but the Hdi is the best of the bunch. I don't think you will be dissapointed with your 1.9 though, I don't think you will get a better car for the price.

Peter
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Been a funny year spent over 2 grand 5 cars.
I wish i got a diesle instead of my laguna petrol. When my bx 1.7td gave up the ghost.
Ive tryed to find xantias. But ill have to drive 100s of miles for one. This 406 wasnt to far.
Im a bit consered about the mot certivacte though. It wasnt the normal one. Just some paper with a gaurge name saying it had past. But it should be moted. If the gaurge. Said they will mot it for us tomorrow. For 6 months.
Do gaurges have to have a mot certifacte. When they tax a car for the public. Or is it a bit differnt for a trader?
Does the GLXTD. Have a trip computer. Becase the trip swich was digital. And whould it have the 6 cd changer.
It has all the other toys all round electric windows. Aircon Climite control. Electric mirrors. Should have abs.
I drove it the trobos superb on it. Seemed more punchy then the 1.7 tds in the bx i had.
I got it at 200rom. Put my foot down. I was doing 80 before i knew it.
The ony little problem i came across. Ws when i took the indercater off, The sound was still going. The clicking. Aport from that. All the electrics seemed ok.
The other good reason. Why i feel safe the the old. Xantias 406 taxi s useed to use them. And still see couple today being used still.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Well it clearly said in the advert Mot till november 2012.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 160,000 miles, White. MOT TILL 03/11/2012 & TAXED TILL 31/12/2011 EXCELLENT RUNNER A BARGAIN Power assisted steering, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Electric sunroof, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Locking wheel nuts, Radio/CD, Foglights, Heated screen, ABS, Central locking, Driver airbag, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Head restraints, Colour coding - Body, Cloth upholstery, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Colour coding - Interior, Rear headrests, Adjustable seats, Tinted glass, Immobiliser, Part Service History, Full size spare wheel. Insurance Group:10, USUAL DEALER FACILITIES INCLUDING FINANCE AT VERY COMPETATIVE RATES ++FOR FURTHER CHOICE OF QUALITY LOCALY OWNED USED CARS VISIT OUR WEBSITES & £500 p/x to clear

Keep it on here just in case lol
Knowing my luck they will be somthing wrong with it.

IS THERE ANY ONE CHEAP THAT CAN DO CAMBELTS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its certainly going to be potentially more reliable than a Renault. Don't know about the MOT. I have travelled all over the country for XM's, you have to if you want a decent one as there are not many about. I bought my last 2.1 manual estate about three years ago and have only seen one more for sale since, I doubt if there are more than a couple of dozen still in existance.

I don't think the 1.9s have fuel computers, you normally need an electronically managed engine for that. I just got another 406 Hdi for a friend and that does'nt have one, mine does but its a GLX. Mine only has a single CD player - and that doesn't work, it does have satnav and all that rubbish though.

The indicator problem may be the switch, try giving it a good work out, that will sometimes cure them, they get metal filings across the contacts.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Cambelt replacement is not all that difficult just time consuming so you need to find the lowest hourly rate - or do it yourself.

Peter
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

the new MOTs are amateur looking. You need to check it online as it's the DVLA database that counts, not the bit of paper.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

All the others look like the proper. Mots certiicate.
It might have ben in there. But he ave me this one which didnt look propper. He goes heres the mot for next year.

S723 HOB
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

check it here
http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Yep will do. Im picking the car up tomo.
It will be the first thing i do. If the worst comes to worst. And it doesnt have a propper mot. What can i do.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

if it turns out to be a fake MOT then call the police. I think that they would take that quite seriously
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

The new mot certifacates have change. Spoke to ppl at work. Who have just had theres done. They say its just a piece of paper photocopyed now.
Probliy to save mony.

Has any one got a handbook. For a 406 td
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Mines the casset player. The bit where you can put the casset in. Does it come out. Could i get a 406 cd player. And slot it in. Or does all the unit have to come out.

Its the bit at the bottom where the casset player is