1.9TD Timing Belt Failure :(

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 1.9TD Timing Belt Failure :(

Post by spider »

Instructions > http://www.eastment.net/Boschpump2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can tell simply by if you can see the stop solenoid (near the outlet pipes) or not, if its covered with thick metal box it needs sorting ;)

I have heard of it being done in situ ( ! ) with a dremmel to just gain access (ie: not quite 100% right) but that's a bit risky in some cases.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks for the link, i've read the first page which deals with the armour and exposing the solenoid but the next page goes into stripping the pump? What are we actually trying to do with the soloniod? What should it look like when you put it back on?

This is the pic from ebay of the engine.

spider

Post by spider »

The second page you don't need. :) This is one of those jobs that may fill you with dread and take ages but the second time around it will be very easy as you'll know what you're doing if that makes sense.

I cannot see it from that pic, although its probably amoured, the right hand end of the pump near the large plastic air piping its under that.

This is what an armoured one looks like > http://www.eastment.net/Images/Pump/P1010002.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is it without the amour > http://www.eastment.net/Images/Pump/module.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (the module is exposed)

This is an unprotected one > http://www.eastment.net/Images/Pump/solenoid.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , although in most cases as per pics on that link you can get at the solenoid once the amour and module is off.
Andy.

a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks Andy, I've got the armor bit but what I'm trying to understand is once we've removed the armor what I actually need to do to make it work. Do I just remove / disconnect the module or do I need to do something to the solenoid.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I haven't actually seen one but I assume that it has a normal fuel solonoid inside, once you have removed the electronics you just connect an ignition feed to the terminal.

Peter
spider

Post by spider »

Peter.N. wrote:I haven't actually seen one but I assume that it has a normal fuel solonoid inside, once you have removed the electronics you just connect an ignition feed to the terminal.

Peter
Yes that's correct in *most* cases, some of the Lucas ones have a um "tube thing" for want of a better description that you have to replace with a normal stop solenoid (there's an issue with that but that's out of this topic so I'll not clutter it with that)
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

a4gom wrote:Thanks Andy, I've got the armor bit but what I'm trying to understand is once we've removed the armor what I actually need to do to make it work. Do I just remove / disconnect the module or do I need to do something to the solenoid.
Essentially its as those three photo's show. Remove armour, remove black module and solenoid is underneath, then you just need an ignition live feed for it. If one is not present (as you only need it to work in "position 2") then the reverse light switch wiring is quite suitable on some vehicles, certainly a 206 is wired this way.

The 'difficult' bit is getting the armour off without damage to the pump (as per the link you will need one bolt from the scrapyard in most cases)
Andy.

a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

All clear now, thanks for your help.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That looks like an ECU controlled engine - if yours is not then it may be better simply to swap the pumps over so your 'new' engine is running on the old pump - in fact it may be better to do this anyway, as then you don't have to worry about de-armouring the 'new' pump.
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

A4, I would still try and put a second hand cam in first ?
grab a cam from a wrecker and some (oiled) cam bearing caps.. the difficult bit will be seeing how free the cam is to turn, with all of the valves in there.. as one lobe will always be touching a bucket... but it ius quite obvious.. either it turns or it doesn't.. when the caps are tight..

I successfully changed my central cap with a spare 40,000 ago..
worth a try first, keep the engine as a spare?
obviously you would need to retime the belt.. etc

? John

John