Over heating & boiling empty & best place to take it

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Shredder11

Over heating & boiling empty & best place to take it

Post by Shredder11 »

Hi, this is my second post on here as I only signed up the other day. I'm a 306 2.0 XSi 3dr Phase 3 16v 2000 W reg owner, and previous to this had an 8v Phase 1 version on a 1996 N reg. I like 306 cars best as they have the old Pug spirit and soul, along with the nicest looks in my opinion that the models since lack. I would have got a GTi-6 but they are hard to find in good, non-molested condition, plus the insurance is stupid too; so I compromised and stuck with the XSi which is still a great car. I think the engine in mine is the XU10J4R and the VIN shows it is the RFV type.

I've just had more car trouble which means I am back on the bus for the time being, and so would welcome a bit of help and advice. I have a 306 2.0 XSi 16v 3dr Phase 3 and one Friday evening recently I set off home from work and noticed the heater was blowing icy cold air. About 10 to 15mins into the journey, I began to smell burning and saw the temp gauge beyond maximum and the stop light came on. I had two miles to go and was uneasy about risking it, but I did and when I pulled into my drive I saw steamy smoke rising from the bonnet. I switched off immediately and very carefully removed the radiator cap (yeah I know but I was VERY careful!); the build up of pressure was released but no water came out as it was almost empty, although only the radiator and not the whole system. I have not tried to drain and flush the system, or remove the thermostat etc as I am not familiar enough on how to do this just yet.

I left it to cool down overnight and thought I would fill it up and observe for 10 mins (did not need much to fill it). Hard to say if I could see a leak because it was just drips that could have been there from the day before, but I did not see anything constantly dripping or running etc. After about 8mins of running, the temp gauge was beyond maximum again. I went to the front of the car to see if the fans had come on, and noticed only one was working (the high speed/temp one); the other fan was jammed stuck and took a few turns with a screwdriver shaft before it could spin a little, but it did not continue to spin with power so must be well dead. I have no idea if this fan was working or not when I bought the car in March 2011, although I have not experienced any abnormal temperatures on the gauge even in summer and the radiator has always kept a full tank without losing water. Anyway back to the test, and I again removed the cap and this time the pressure pushed the cap up and water gushed out. The radiator tank was again empty save for what had settled back into the system, and there were regular gurgling noises of 1 second duration for the next half hour or so. I have not tried to flush the system, as I do not know how yet or if it is worth doing.

I also watched the exhaust because my mother had mentioned it pouring out a lot of crap. It did chuck out a very small cloud of light grey....err....not exactly smoke but a more dry vapour if that makes any sense. The exhaust has become more noisy over recent weeks, and I suspect has been blowing slightly from the front of the mid section. I had a look at the oil filler cap and it is clean as a whistle, not a speck of anything bad at all. The oil level is still full too.

The car has run like a dream since I bought it and seems to be in lovely condition overall, and I have only done an oil and filter change on it so far. The previous owner had done 15,000 miles in the previous year before I got it, but the car has had full main dealer services every single year since new. The last recorded full service was January 2010, at T.K. Jaques-Smith, Birchwood Lane, South Normanton.

So any help on how to proceed is really appreciated, as it is hard on me getting two busses with walking nearly a mile between connections to work and back. Harder still when I am feeling run down and unwell. Why does life kick you in the teeth many times, in a short space of time!

I'd like to know of where I could realistically drive the car to for repair, from where I live in the Eccleshill, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD2 area. Also would a decent Pug 306 experienced garage / dealer, come out and pick up my car or would that cost a fortune?

Once at a garage for repair, is there anything specific I should tell them to aid in the repair? Unless they have experience with the 306, they might just replace the usual parts that any car would need, but I have noticed posts on other forums suggesting things like relays being replaced and the matrix heater being sealed with hot glue. Also some here suggest asking for the gasket head to be skimmed flat as a precaution. Oh and should I ask them to replace the cam belt, if they are likely to be removing certain parts near it? My belt was last done at 71K miles and it has done another 59K since. I suppose a new coolant pump might be needed too.

Hopefully you can give a bit of advice and also a breakdown of the current prices for parts and labour, so I can try and get something organsied this week or next to get back on the road.
Attachments
P4070875_(plate_blanked).JPG
P4070871_(saved as).JPG
306_2.0_XSi_engine.JPG
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Re: Over heating & boiling empty & best place to take it

Post by ken newbold »

I would have thought, Ray Calvert in Eccleshill would be your man. You could always try ringing Malcolm Lockwood on 01274 640590 and ask him if he knows anyone else.
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Thanks for the info and after Googling those names, I noticed there seems to be mainly Citroen garages in my area but I expect they will be familiar with Peugeots too, seeing as they share the same parts.
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Today I filled up the radiator again, which only took 1.5 litres and started up the engine to observe. Unlike last time it did not overheat or trigger the cooling fans (the left A/C one is not working though). There seemed to be less emissions from the exhaust and the temp gauge on the dash did not go anywhere near max, although it did not seem to move!. I used my cheap tiny video camera, which has no screen and a tiny lense hence the exaggerated movement. The car behaved a little differently to the last time I started it up in the driveway. I will be taking the car to a local garage on Wednesday to be inspected and a plan of action etc.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Shredder11 on 13 Nov 2011, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

I've been to see Ray Calvert in Eccleshill last Friday afternoon, but I walked there and after a quick chat he told me to bring it on on Wednesday. He also said that a common problem with Pugs, is the pump gets stuck and needs attention to make it turn again. He also thought that seeing as I said it still drove nicely, the head gasket must be ok
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Fingers crossed then :) keep us posted :)
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Well in the end I decided to drive my car to the Citraulix http://www.citraulix.com garage around the corner from me. I never even knew it was there and is only a three minute walk too. Last Thursday afternoon they ran some diagnostic equipment and that confirmed hot water was being pumped around the system, because the diagnostic tools traced the heat as it travelled around the car. They said that the radiator was leaking and probably caused air to get in and cause the overheating problem. Then they saw the left cooling fan had died and needed replacing, which I already suspected anyway. They also alerted me to how bad the front brakes were and asked if I wanted them replacing as well.

While they were doing all of this, I asked if they would replace the cam-belt and water pump because the belt has done 59,000 miles of mainly motorway driving I think and I was feeling nervous! Finally I had a round fog light which has been in a box in my bedroom, waiting since I got it in March to be fitted. With the bumper being taken off to fit the radiator, I thought I would bring it over and let them fit it.

I will be walking over there tomorrow to see if the car will be ready to drive home. The bill for everything done comes to approx £615 I think, but I will find out the exact amount tomorrow.
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Right I collected the car around noon and paid for the work done, which came to £601.42 inc. VAT of which £247.50 was labour costs.

I had the following parts fitted (prices include VAT):

(1) Water pump £32.70
(2) Radiator £74.34
(3) Radiator fan £97.20
(4) Timing kit £70.74
(5) Brake discs £22.92 each
(6) Brake pads £22.44 per pair
(7) Antifreeze £4.26 per litre

Happy to say all the noise from the previous timing belt has gone, and the car runs at a lower temperature while driving. The radiator A/C fan is coming on when it should and is very quiet (the old one was very noisy). The fog light I bought second hand from Ebay in March this year, is now fitted and working and they did this for free. The service at the Citraulix garage was excellent, with very fast and efficient work and regular communication by phone, which was clear and concise and was without me having to chase them up or badger them to get a move on like at other places. I am very satisfied with this garage so far.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

i was going to say the noise sounded like cam belt tensioner (a squeel is a usual indication to get it changed asap so i was told many many years ago!)

glad its all working as it should :D
Simon
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

Thanks, yeah I am happy and relieved that it is back on the road. I have a friend who suggested a long time mechanic friend of his I should go to, but I decided on going to somewhere that although may cost more would get it done faster and with less hassle. I already have a great friend that is a mechanic (Vauxhall trained mainly, but very experienced with other makes), and I know how difficult it would have been without the full facilities a garage has to hand.