starting probs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cash ma giro

starting probs

Post by cash ma giro »

can someon offer advice
ive a 205 with a mi16 engine
thing is it wont start but turns over just fine.it will start the odd time and when it does it purrs like a kitten #.ive changed the battery,the ht leads,spark plugs,ignition amp,and dizzy cap still no joy
two auto sparks have looked at it and havent been much help
any ideas whats wrong with it
i need my baby back on the road
john green

Post by john green »

Try the transponder aeriel.I had the same problem with my 406 coupe and it might just be the thing. Its about £25ish. Maybe worth a try
John
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

a 205 is a bit old to have a transponder,what about the fuel pump ? do you hear it priming up when you switch on the ignition ?
cash ma giro

Post by cash ma giro »

i tryed to listen to see if i could hear it but i couldnt but i can smell the petrol after a while so i guess thats the engine flooding so it must be working
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Have a close look at the LT plug that goes into the coil.
This has I think 4 terminals & there is + as well as - poles. These things are notorious for shorting across as they seem to get a build up of conductive dirt across the face which will cause them to short to earth & negate any sparking. Clean with WD40 which is then washed off with petrol and blown dry with air. Also the igniter that is normally fitted to the firewall on a BX16V can also fail this way (blue plastic strip across the front) failing it being in either of these, it looks like you've got a check for internally broken/corroded wires somewhere in the system. The LT plug incidentally can be affected by weather; working in the dry & shorting out due to moisture.
Alan S