406 Hdi hard suspension?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

406 Hdi hard suspension?

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi all

I would expect my 406 to ride hard compared to an XM but it even seems hard relative to a ZX. Its OK on main roads but round the lanes here you seem to be able to feel every bump. Firstly is this normal, secondly, is there anything I can can do about it, are there softer springs I can use for instance? I have tried lowering the tyre pressures a little which improved it slightly but not enough. Otherwise its a very nice car. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

does it have tourtion bar rear axle as i think some did and saome had proper rear susp (spring and shockers)

if it is tourtion bar maybe the axle has seized up,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: ...had proper rear susp (spring and shockers)
Malcolm! You of all people :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You should know by now that the only 'proper' suspension is hydropneumatic :wink:

The only suspension I've seen on a 406 is the coil spring one. Surely a terribly retrograde step backwards from the torsion bar set-up on the 405.

The only 406 (saloon) I've driven I found it horribly like driving an overstuffed sofa; far too soft and wallowy. The dampers felt as if they were full of lard.

Is yours an Estate Peter? I believe, like its 405 predecessor, the estate is set up that much stiffer and firmer for load carrying duties.

Maybe if the rear suspension layouts are the same then perhaps a swap to saloon springs and shockers might help.

Truth is though Peter, after the delights of Citroen hydropneumatic, nothing quite compares to it...

Thing is, ride apart, I really, really rate the 406 as a great workhorse of a car that is almost spot-on in every department bar one.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I can't comment too much as the Coupé suspension is probably even firmer again and the ride height is lowered compared to saloons and estates. Plus, mine isn't exactly 100% anyway.

Thing to note though is that after driving the Coupé, my Xantia was superbly comfortable. So much so that I hadn't noticed it was stuck in firm mode! I only found out when Jim discovered a rear electrovalve fault on the ELIT.

Could this be contributing Peter? As Jim says, nothing compares to hydropneumatic and you are used to XMs after all :lol:

Failing that; bushes, links and shocks would be my guess. Tyre pressures are one to check too. The Coupé, at least, is quite sensitive to tyre pressure changes.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

:oops: :roll: :wink: sorry i was not thinking straight, but i to quite like the 406,

my brother inlaw's V reg HDI EXCLUSIVE was extreemly harsh in the suspender department, but my daughters old P reg estate was very commfy/soft,

also i have seen 405's with both types of suspenders, coils and toursion bar,

and prety sure i have seen 406's the same,

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks all for your comments.

Jim

I would be delighted if the suspension was like a sofa with lard dampers I wouldn't even mind if it leaned on corners as long as I didn't feel every bump. Its an estate by the way but the suspension feels similar back and front.

I have to drive over a forest track to reach the road which is full of potholes so I can find ones of appropriate size and depth to compare front and rear ride and as I say its about the same front and rear. There are no rattles, or at least not since I changed the tie rods.

I thought it was just me having only driven XMs for the last 15 years but I drove a ZX estate the other day that used to belong to my wife and even that was better. I suppose it could be down to the tyres but I don't feel inclined to by new ones on the off chance.

You couldn't feel a thing in my Morris Oxford with cross plies 8-)

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You couldn't feel a thing in my Morris Oxford with cross plies
Especially, which way the car was going to go on a wet road! :shock:

Does your 406 have the active suspension option? I've driven a Pug with this in fault mode and it's bloody awful - like a drift car; all jiggly.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I drove on cross plies for a good part of my motoring life and never had any problem with them - but then I never have been one for cornering at 60 mph :)

Don't know about active suspension. Its not jiggly on a good surface just uncomfortable on our unrepaired lanes.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:
You couldn't feel a thing in my Morris Oxford with cross plies
Especially, which way the car was going to go on a wet road! :shock:

especialy with knackerd lever arm shocks,

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Felt lovely to me :D
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Electronically managed suspension only an option on Coupés here in the UK I believe. Even then not for very long. It's apparently rubbish.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I am fairly sure it was a European option on saloons/estates; had assumed this case in the UK as well.

605s have it, and I don't rate this gimmick especially highly. The principle is sound (basically, variable valving in each shock body, rather like toggling the centre Hydractive sphere) however it just doesn't have enough range for finesse. The result seems to be compromise on any road at any speed!

Perhaps, Peter needs his suspension checking generally?

Also the HDi here ran 16" rims as opposed to the 15" wheels of other models. Yet another bit of buffering lost...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No, 15" rims with 195.65s same as the XM. I have replaced drop links and tie bars at the rear and everything appears to be in good order. Dampers ar OK, it might ride better if they weren't. Somone I gave a lift to the other day said how nicely it rode compared to their car - so perhaps its just me and about 25 years of hydropnumatics. :(

Peter