406 auto gearbox 2001 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Elderton

406 auto gearbox 2001 HDI

Post by Elderton »

I have nearly done 180,000 mls in this amazing car. The auto box works fine but have a few queries. Firstly the gears snatch & clonk not every time & not in every gear. Is there a service kit that is available? Secondly how frequently should the transmission fluid be changed & what fluid is generally recommended. Lastly can the autovalves be replaced to improve the gear changing?
Many thanks for any help.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

It could be a Siemens AL4 or a ZF 4HP20 transmission depending on which HDI engine you have.
Either way the only oil that you can use is Esso LT 71141. There is no equivalent from an another oil manufacturer as far as I know, although I think sometimes it is repackaged by VW/Audi etc.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Indeed, only use the correct oil. Here's why > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=32997 , see about the third post from the end of the first page.

Although its best to await someone more knowledgeable to confirm your transmission type.

I'd never seen an auto HDi 406, 407's yes, but all the 406's I saw were petrol. I'll admit I was not really aware they made them, although I know Citroen did do the Xantia with an autobox...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG