Rumbling 306 td

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

Rumbling 306 td

Post by Dave1 »

Hi,
This could be a number of things I guess but before I start getting in to deep I though I would see if anyone had any suggestions. The car has done about 36k miles and for a while i noticed both a rumbling sound when setting off and a whining noise which progessively got worse. (In fact, ever since I got it at 28k) Seemed to be the timing belt region. I have had this replaced and the whining has gone but there is still a persistant rumble when setting off. This would seem to be due to the speed of the engine. If you push the accelerator a little the noise is constant at about 1100 revs, after this it disappears. Still sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the timing belt cover.
Has anyone got any suggestions considering the belt has been changed?
Thanks
Dave
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When you had the cambelt changed, did they replace the tensioner pulley? If not, it could be that which is grumbling. Or even the idler pulley.
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

Just a suggestion have you checked the bottom pulley bolt? for tightness? this little fekker gave me alot of heartache[:(!] recently and found out the bolt was too long, not sure if it was the original bolt, but i bought a stainless one, 1/4 inch shorter and its ok now....
Phil[:o)]
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

No to both of the above. The tensioner sounds worth checking, also the bolt. As I said, I have not got to dig around as yet but will post any result when I know it. Thank you for your suggestions
Dave [:)]
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Ok,
Got my hands dirty today. Took the wheel off and removed the covers to access the area. Started the engine, pushed the throttle control on the pump and watched. Presto, it was the aux. drive belt flapping at the bottom. Great. However, could not see the adjuster. Haines shows one on the alternator or the other sort where two bolts are undone on a sliding mechanism like my ZX. Cannot see either on the PUG. I will take it back to the garage on Monday as they will have left it loose. Where is the adjuster though[?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Probably the type where the idler pulley has an excentric mounting as opposed to having it slide on a bracket.
On the excentric adjuster you loosen the allen bolt and insert a lever into a square socket and rotate it to take up the slack, this type seems to be more common where aircon is fited.
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Dave,
You will be right. I am at work now so cannot check but I remember seeing something along those lines. I think I will still let the mechanic do it who left it slack and save my knuckles. Nice to know for future ref though and I appreciate your reply.
Thanks
Dave.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Bringing this thread back to life (unfortunatly), I took the car in to be looked over and was advised that it had a self adjusting mechanism. When the engine revs increase they said the pully system tensioned up and that there was a known fault with this. I had the belt replaced initially to see how things progressed but little if no improvement. This was not a pug gargage however. The mechanic (who is generally pretty good or I would not go) said he had seen the problem before and Peugeot know about it. However, I find it hard to believe there is no adjustment. Anyone have any experience or knowledge this arrangement .
I cannot be alone with this set up[:(]
Thanks
Dave