405 air recirculator squeeking/creaking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Aussie01

405 air recirculator squeeking/creaking

Post by Aussie01 »

1995 405 srdt wagon
I have a creaking noise that is coming from the mechanism that controls the airflow from outside air to recirculate the cabin air. The flap that redirects the airflow does work, but it seams as though the motor that controls the flap does not stop when it is opened/closed, sounds as though it keeps running and creating the creaking noise that continues the entire time the car is running. I have removed the glovebox, but not sure if there is a way to access the airflow mechanism. Has anyone encountered this before?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That sounds like the "clapet de mélange" being defective.

I've heard of fixes with varying degrees of success, but new is your other option - they aren't cheap however.
Aussie01

Post by Aussie01 »

My current solution is to turn the radio up, but not always a viable option. I notice where the wires run from it, it feels like there is a block of some sort where the wires meet up by the fan. Is this a plug, would it effect anything else if I just unplugged it and left it in the outside air position. I hardly ever run the recycled air option, so it wouldn,t really bother me.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

406's can do the same (the electric recirc) they constantly click. In theory you should take the dash out but its possible to do it via the glovebox and some butchery.

On your 405 I don't think the microswitch effects anything else, although you might find it does not actually stop the noise. You can always uplug it and try it. Ensure the recirc flap is open though (ie: fresh air)

I can't remember the last time I've ever used the recirc on any car to be honest...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

When it gets flaming hot, it's (recirc) the only way to cool the car down and keep it cool.

According to the parts diagram I looked at there may be two controllers in an aircon facelift 405. One is the fresh/recirc, the other for temperature blending.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

addo wrote:When it gets flaming hot, it's (recirc) the only way to cool the car down and keep it cool.
That's a point, I forgot your 'location' :oops:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Come over here in January; I'll loan you a dark grey 405 and pull the AC fuses. :lol:

There's a fair old rake to the glass in a 405, and that makes heat ingress a real issue for summer.
carlo14
My Cars:

Post by carlo14 »

Well known weakness/problem. I've had three of them and all three had exactly the same fault! You can disengage the flap/motor from under the bonnet (in the open position) and hey presto, no noise. I believe you get to it under the pollen filter. Can't do it myself but my friendly mechanic always helps me out for £25 a time.