405 rear axle & brake problem (rear wheel locks up on bu

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sum1964

405 rear axle & brake problem (rear wheel locks up on bu

Post by sum1964 »

My car is a 1996 Peugeot 405 DT Estate. I have a strange intermitant problem with this car,sometimes when I drive over uneven road surfaces (man hole covers,grids,pot holes) there is a loud bang at the back end of the car as one of the rear brakes locks on and the rear suspension on the same side compresses fully and the car drops violently,this can be quite scary especially at speed as it all happens very quickly....It feels like the rear suspension on one side of car has collapsed,however if I apply the handbrake after the wheel has locked the locked brake releases and the suspension rises to its normal height and everything starts to function normally,until it feels like doing it again....It used to do this on just the o/s rear wheel but now it is doing it at random on either rear wheel....When this first happened I took it to my local mechanic who reckoned the rear shocks were bent so he replaced them,this didnt cure the problem.....I hoped that something would show up when I put car through its MOT at local Peugeot dealership,it didnt....Anyone got any idea what the problem is?.....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

dose your car have coil spring and shockers or is it a toursion bar set up,

maybe the rear axle/sub frame mounting/s are breaking up and when it moves out of place it pulls on the hand brake cables,

regards malcolm
sum1964

Post by sum1964 »

I think rear suspension is the torsion bar type with hydraulic damper
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Sounds to me like there's something seriously wrong with the rear brakes. When the rear brakes are applied, the suspension sinks, this is normal. Are they drums or discs? If drums, it could be something like the pad has seperated from the shoe and catches at random. Either way, pop the wheel off and I bet you will see the problem.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
sum1964

Post by sum1964 »

Thanks for your suggestion,brakes are drum type. I will take a look at them tomorrow.
patanga
My Cars:

brakes locking

Post by patanga »

It could be a broken brake shoe retaining pin. If that is the case the shoe might be cocking to one side excessively causing it to lock on. Pulling the hand brake might square the offending shoe up allowing things to return to normal. Be ware when you remove the rear drums as they may have a lip ridge worn on the outer edge of the drum which can make removal very challenging on the 405 wagon. On my wagon the Lucas brakes do not have an adjustment slot in the back plate which means the shoe adjusters can not be backed off to aid with removal. I have recently experienced this and in the end the only way I could remove the drums was to do some damage by forcing them off. Good luck:)
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

As the brake has been locking up I would change all the retaining springs no matter what as they are all stretched by now.There are a number of causes to this fault,brake fluid contamination of shoe,part seized hand brake cable so when the radius arm moves over bumps it pulls the brake on?also I`ve had 405`s where the rear flexible brake pipe "gums up" inside causing the brake to stay on.For safety overhaul the rear brakes and replace the rear flexis.