Peugeot 206 Ticking Noise From Alternator Pulley Area

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Dave

Peugeot 206 Ticking Noise From Alternator Pulley Area

Post by Mad Dave »

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum.
I have got a Peugeot 206 Hdi, with an intermittent clicking/ticking sound similar to a knackered alternator pulley.
The alternator pulley has been replaced by the local garage, still same noise, so the garage decided to replace the belt tensioner, which seemed to quieten the noise for a week or so, then it came back, it is booked in to be looked at again next week, but trying to get a few pointers beforehand as to what it could be.

Also, the sound seems to go off once the engine reaches around the 1200 rpm mark, and allegedly the noise disapppears when the engine is run without the alternator belt.

And, I dont know if it is relevent or not, but the steering wheel has started to shake a little at around the 30-40mph mark, like I say this could be a wheel balancing or tracking fault and totally unrelated.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

My first thought is crank pulley as its a kind of rubber joined assembly on most HDi's.

Its dis-assembly and refitting (for the tensioner) could of kept it quiet a bit I guess.

The vibration, does it always do it at that speed regardless of gear / engine rpm ? , it could be wheel balance but its a bit slow for that unless its distorted wheels (unlikely)

You cannot run the engine without the crank pulley though, as the timing belt will fly off. A screwdriver may help locate the source of the noise.

If you have A/C see if the noise is less / worse with that enabled.

Not too sure what else to suggest.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Mad Dave

Post by Mad Dave »

Hi Andy, thanks for the quick reply.

The garage have already tried a crank pulley m8, b4 they replaced the tensioner.

As for the wheel vibration, you are thinking the same as me, as it seems a bit slow to be tracking or wheel balancing, especially as it seems to go at faster speeds.

Have been wondering if the whole thing is actually linked and there is a fault with the power steering pump, as it is on the same belt as the crank pulley.

Thanks again,

Dave.
Last edited by Mad Dave on 17 Feb 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If you can get a shorter (even a used one or one that's not wide enough) belt to just temporarily miss out one pulley at a time (even the PAS) you can narrow it down.

You cannot run it like this for long or drive it but I have done things like this to determine which ancillary was causing the noise.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Mad Dave

Post by Mad Dave »

That seems like a good idea m8, was actually wondering if it was possible a day or so back, will see what I can do, cheers m8.