406...2.1 td discs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mestala
My Cars:

406...2.1 td discs

Post by mestala »

Hi guys

I had new pads fitted to my 2.1 td before I set off on a 2000ml trip.I was told that the front disca were worn and could do with replacing,didnt have any time for them to be done..They are now giving off a slight rumbling under braking..Could you tell me,is it an easy job to do,diy ??
Steve
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes.

Depending on type of brake system fitted, in brief:

Remove calliper bolts (may only need to remove the lower one and swing it out the way) do NOT disconnect fluid pipe. Hang up or cable tie etc do not let it hang on the hose.

Watch fluid level, push pad sat on calliper back a bit (new discs will be thicker so you need space)

Remove pads do not mix them up.

Undo two torx screws holding disc to hub. Put one wheel bolt in loosely to stop disc falling on the ground.

Remove calliper carriage, usually 19mm bolts.

Remove disc. If needed you can hit the rear of the disc to remove it (wear eye protection) see now why I said to put a roadwheel bolt back ;)

Clean hub up with wire brush. Fit new discs. Fit torx screws. Remove oil coating from new discs with brake cleaner or meths etc.

Clean the brake pad carriage out with a file if needed, should be reasonable as you had pads but you never know.

Refit. Cannot remember bolt torque for the 19mm (sorry) I seem to think 90lb or 110lb, certainly tight. A blob of thread lock would not go amiss either.

Gently file pads (as they are used) especially the edges. Apply a smidge of copper grease to the ears of them, keep it well away from the friction material.

Refit pads. Refit calliper bolts. Pump brake pedal a few times to push the pads to the disc.

Inspect work. If happy refit road wheels.

Check brake fluid level and top up if needed.

Brake gently for a couple of hundred miles to allow new discs and not quite new pads to bed in together.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
mestala
My Cars:

Post by mestala »

Thanks for that Andy,I think I can manage that,better order some...
Do you know whether any disc sets off ebay are any good.
Steve
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

mestala wrote:Thanks for that Andy,I think I can manage that,better order some...
Do you know whether any disc sets off ebay are any good.
Steve
They will probably be OK although I would say to get them from a local factors as if they are wrong it will be easier to take them back that way.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG