oil in header tank

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ynysmon

oil in header tank

Post by ynysmon »

my peugeot partner van with the dw8 engine is slowly put oil in the header tank , but no water is getting into the oil system, have by pass the oil cooler unit on the oil filter housing , and is still the same , i would say head gasket has gone , would like to know is this common fault or do the heads crack need the oil way , many thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could well be the head gasket but I had a similar problem on an XM, replaced the gasket and it still filled up with oil, possibly a crack somewhere, I ran it for many thousands of miles by regularly removing the oil, quite easy really, take the filler cap off, place a slow running hozepipe in the filler and let it run, the oil in the tank will float to the top and run out. Start the engine and do it again to be more thorough but most of the oil will end up in the tank anyway as its lighter than water - don't do this where people are going to walk through it and spread it on your Axminster. :shock:

Peter
ynysmon

oil in header tank

Post by ynysmon »

many thanks will try head gasket , and see what happens , if it comes back again will fit s/h engine.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i fitted a new oil cooler to an Alfa romeo a month or so ago,

it took several attempts to get all the oil out,

first attempt we disconected as many hose's as possible and the thermostat,

flushed it through with an industrial steam cleaner till clean soapy water was comming out of every orafiss,

conected it all back up ran it up on just clean water to warm it up before putting in the rad flush, and after ten min's it ooooozed oil back out of the filler,

did same again then put the flush in and ran it up till fully up to temprature,

flushed that out and re/filled with coolant then it was fine,

regards malcolm
ynysmon

oil in header tank

Post by ynysmon »

flush the system a few time but oil comes back , have take head off, just waiting for head gasket and bolts to come , , the only thing i would say the head bolts were not as tight as i would have thought, as the last 405 i did were very tight many thanks for that information
panason1c

Re: oil in header tank

Post by panason1c »

ynysmon wrote:flush the system a few time but oil comes back , have take head off, just waiting for head gasket and bolts to come , , the only thing i would say the head bolts were not as tight as i would have thought, as the last 405 i did were very tight many thanks for that information
A close examination of the head gasket should give you an indication of any failure points.
ynysmon

oil in header tank

Post by ynysmon »

new head gasket and bolts no oil going into header tank now , the head and the gasket all look fine ,no sign of damage , but the van has just covered 1000 miles all is well , take job change the engine in my 806 , found a good 306 diesel so out with the spanners again , many thanks to all 8-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Anyone know if there's a simple way to clarify the "mayonnaise"?

That way one could tell if it were motor oil or ATF (in cases where two exchangers are fitted).
patanga
My Cars:

oil in water diagnostics

Post by patanga »

There is a sniffer tool that works on a chemical reaction that one can place over the expansion tank filler neck which picks up combustion gas particles as they permiate out the filler neck. Presumably the same process works on diesels. Anyway, if it is a blown head gasket (with combustion gas leaks) then this will be indicated by a colour change of the sniffer tool fluid. The tool isn't all that expensive and should be available via most auto parts sellers. Otherwise I would also expect to see a colour difference in the oil/water mix. Diesel oil is very black so I'd also be looking for possible traces of black in the mayo.