205 gti starting prob, please help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thrappit

205 gti starting prob, please help

Post by thrappit »

The car was running fine with no probs whatsoever, then yesterday after work came to start it and nothing....completly dead!!
When i turn the key i hear a clicking noise from the fuse/relay board but theres no attempt to turn the engine,
The car will jump start no probs, so what does this mean
Is it possible the battery can just 'pack up' like that
Would this be an Ignition switch prob?
Or is the starter motor knackered (tapping it with a spanner dosnt help)?
PLEASE HELP ME SORT OUT THIS DILEMMA [:(]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Batteries can suddenly die. Two years ago, in Italy, I drove my Xantia all morning, parked in a supermarket carpark for half an hour, came out and tried to start. Nothing - battery completely flat. Fortunately, I had an identical battery in my caravan. A quick change over, and we were on our way. Start by getting your battery looked at.
rj.kennedy

Post by rj.kennedy »

I agree probably the battery. The clicking is a relay which is switching in a load (in this case probably the starter or starter solenoid or glowplugs if a diesel) that pulls the battery voltage down to a level where the relay releases. The battery voltage recovers and the relay pulls in again etc. Hence a fast clicking noise or even a buzzing. will the battery power the headlights, heated rear screen and blower fan together without the headlights dimming?
thrappit

Post by thrappit »

hey thanks guys, for the advice, will try changing the battery first, then will get backto you
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

May be like the problem we've had on a 205 diesel for about 8 years!
Sometimes, usually in hot weather, we just hear a click as the key is turned,and no turning of engine.
Can get started by: -
Letting the glow plugs finish completely.
Jump starting.
Rapid on/off switching ignition key,until on one go it turns.
Ours is (I <b>believe</b>) the starter solenoid, i.e poor contacts assisted by more available voltage, or just repeated trying until good contact is made.
If you want to see my note and reply from Dave Burns, click on 'search', scroll down members to woodhead722, and keywords 'diesel starting'.
Good luck, your new battery may cure for a year perhaps, but not be the real problem.
Still got my problem, but solenoids are a bit fiddly/ expensive!