406 Questions

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

406 Questions

Post by Ross »

Evening all - just got a 406GLXTD Estate '98 - a couple of things

Should the 406 have a sound deadening felt fitted under the bonnet ?

I have a 60MM dial gauge on the left hand side of the main dash display with a needle which goes from left to right on start up and then back to the left (indicated "off") and then doesn't move again - does anyone know what the dial is ?

Sometimes the tacho needle dies and then restarts - is this a sensor somewhere ?

Sorry but don't have a handbook or manual -- yet

Thanks
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Ross

The guage will be the oil level, it reads the oil level when the ignition is turned on and then goes off when the engine is started.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

1. I cannot honestly remember. I think some do but I'm not sure.

2. Oil level check. That's normal. Lights up and reads level then goes out if you start the engine or wait a bit.

As its a GLX I bet the fuel gauge is in the middle and the temp on the right (or vice-versa) and the oil level is on the left as you say, has a kind of funny "f" on it.

3. It's probably the TDC sensor itself. This is accesible from above or below (slightly easier from below to be honest) although whip air piping out and you`ll see it sat in the top of the bell housing.

Replacements are not much new and they are difficult to 'test'. Most XUD's share the same one.

Inspect the wiring (follow it from the sensor back) for a multiplug if this has any corrosion in it clean it as it will do what you say if there's anything amiss. Check that the sensor is fitted nicely (caution: some have a plastic 'clamp' that is easily broken)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

..or it could be bad connections on the plug just above the sensor.