1.9d dw8 engine, is it possible to get timing worng?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barrydoran

1.9d dw8 engine, is it possible to get timing worng?

Post by barrydoran »

Hi,

This question is really regarding the 1.9d dw8 engine fitted to both the berlingo and Peugeot partner. The car in question is a peugeot partner.

My mothers car, just completed re-shimming the inlet valve's because it wouldn't start. Now it starts ok. However, its so slow. Have I timed it wrong? or are they just really crap?

No smoke runs fine, just so slow.

I dont see how it could be timed wrong as I have checked and the camshaft and injection pump sprockewt bolts are at the centre of their slots.

Plus wouldn't bad timing be rewarded with smoke or something?

I have heard tha these are reaaly slow ( 700 bhp )

Barry
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

See Citroen forum :D
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

Peter.N. wrote:See Citroën forum :D
Just curious, why can't the op's question be answered here if it is the same engine fitted to a peugeot?............ :?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They are a bit less powerful than the XUD

If I remember correctly (and this is just what I was told) its about 10% less power than the XUD and about 10% more fuel consumption. However it is a lot 'cleaner' emissions wise.

I think its vernier but that's the cam timing (not really looked at one as when these engines appeared I had about left the trade)

It's unlikely to smoke much due to the cat. I thought about the EGR being stuck open as that would cause a lack of power but it would also run badly in most cases.

Ensure its not something silly like a blocked fuel filter or restricted fuel flow to the filter (tank pickup maybe) as that will really slow it down.

After driving a few, I do know that the 206 version is slower than the 306 (late 306's had this in) although why is a mystery as the 306 is heavier.

You could try adjusting the pump (both its timing and the transfer pressure, I think that's the right one)

Wait a bit and see if any one else has other ideas that might help you :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
panason1c

Re: 1.9d dw8 engine, is it possible to get timing worng?

Post by panason1c »

barrydoran wrote:I have heard tha these are reaaly slow ( 700 bhp )

Barry

Just noticed that bit..............if you've only got 700bhp i'm not surprised it's slow........... :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

panason1c wrote:
Just curious, why can't the op's question be answered here if it is the same engine fitted to a peugeot?............ :?
Because this post and reply are also on the Citroen forum :)
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

Peter.N. wrote:
panason1c wrote:
Because this post and reply are also on the Citroën forum :)
Ahh, i see. :idea:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This is the other thread, now locked.
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Thanks for the replies so far. I duplicated the post on the Citroen forum since I thought the Berlingo people may be able to shed some light too.

It may just be the fact that I've been driving a 2.2 TID saab while I got round to fixing the valve clearances on the peugeot. The saab reaaly doesn't like going slow! bloody turbo.

I thought I may go an "test drive" a same year partner at a second hand car dealers to gauge the performance.

I Guess a fuel filter is worth a shot.
siraff

Post by siraff »

They are pretty slow. About 17 secs to 60 if you really cane it. All the ones I've ever driven feel like they're broken. They feel like they're just not interested in accelerating at all.
I suppose it's what happens when you put 70ps of emissions comtrolled wheezebag in a 1400kg car. On the good side they are pretty smooth for a diesel and they use very little fuel while lugging all that car about.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not a bunged up cat is it and you might find a straight through exhaust section from a pre cat version might fit, like the XANT's do

regards malcolm
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Thanks guys, I'm coming round to the "they are just slow" school of thought. PLenty of information on the interweb seems to point at this.

I will however try a new fuel filter, but I suspect this may have been changed by the garage who tried to fix the starting problem.

Second attempt will be the EGR valve, I'll try blanking it.

Wont be the Cat as I fitted a Brand New one not more than 4 months ago.
I guess a compression check wouldn't go amiss either now that the valve clearances are ok.

I dont own a compression guage, any ideas on sourcing one, plus how do you check a diesel? Which hole? and how do you stop it firing up? This is my first foray into diesel mechanics.

Barry.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

compresion testers for a diesel are usualy not cheap as the range they have to cope with is far high than one for petrol engines, as you probably allready know,

you could always take it to a local diesel work shop just to get them checked,

it can be done via the glow plug ports, and to stop it fireing up disconect the fuel shut off solanoid, if you can get to it that is,

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:compresion testers for a diesel are usualy not cheap as the range they have to cope with is far high than one for petrol engines, as you probably allready know,

you could always take it to a local diesel work shop just to get them checked,

it can be done via the glow plug ports, and to stop it fireing up disconect the fuel shut off solanoid, if you can get to it that is,

regards malcolm
Its not readily accessible (off topic note: they have a weird 'tube' thing, there are conventional ones that fit but its difficult to find, I have the details saved somewhere as the normal ones either do not move enough or too much, if that makes sense) :)

However he can unplug the multiplug on the side of the pump to disconnect it anyway, probably the easiest way, failing that a cable tie on the manual stop lever (not really a good idea) :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

If the engine fires up readily from cold and runs smoothly with no excess smoke, then low compression(s) is definately not a consideration in your case.