106 problem - is it the fuel?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Katchit

106 problem - is it the fuel?

Post by Katchit »

Sorry, for about 2 weeks now i have had a bit of a problem with my car, it will run fine and then even when i have my foot on the accelerator, it wont respond and will actually lower the rev count, until i cant go anywhere.

Usually, if i then leave it for another 5-10 minutes, it will start up again.

I have had the AA out, who thought it was something to do with the cold weather, i then had them out again and they thought it may have been a fuel problem.

The thing is, i have had the fuel pump out of the car, and cleaned it twice, and it seems to run better when i have done that and cleaned it out. Admittedly, i filled up a can with some petrol last time i was near a petrol station, and at the moment, it has that fuel in there, and i do know that there was some 'debris' in the bottom of the jerry can, which went into the fuel system, but i couldnt stop it once it was going down the funnel.

Do you think this could be the problem? That the fuel pump is being blocked by this debris?

Im a bit of a novice with cars, so please explain in layman's terms.

Id appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks again.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It could be various things causing it, but its best to confirm the basics first.

I'd suggest changing the fuel filter (its around the tank on the passenger side) first if you are not sure when it was changed. Its probably clogged. Caution: leave engine off for a few minutes before going near it and even then it will leak a fair bit, leaving it is to reduce pressure. It will leak as the filter will retain fuel.

Once that's changed, try it again. If it persists, consider changing the temp sensor (for the ECU) its usually in the thermostat housing.

If you are not sure, get the fuel filter changed to start with. Please say what engine / year too. I've taken a guess to cover most models.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Katchit

Post by Katchit »

spider wrote:It could be various things causing it, but its best to confirm the basics first.

I'd suggest changing the fuel filter (its around the tank on the passenger side) first if you are not sure when it was changed. Its probably clogged. Caution: leave engine off for a few minutes before going near it and even then it will leak a fair bit, leaving it is to reduce pressure. It will leak as the filter will retain fuel.

Once that's changed, try it again. If it persists, consider changing the temp sensor (for the ECU) its usually in the thermostat housing.

If you are not sure, get the fuel filter changed to start with. Please say what engine / year too. I've taken a guess to cover most models.
Thanks a lot for your reply!

It is an X Reg (1999) and a 1.1 Independance.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

:) , I forgot to say 'Welcome' as it was your first post.

My initial reply is OK then.

I would take a guess at the filter anyway as its due every 4 years or 40,000 (whichever first) and usually if it did not go to the main dealer it would not be done, at least in my experience it seems some garages miss this out.

Have it changed (or change it yourself if you are careful, obvious precautions as there will be a fair bit of fuel in the old filter etc) , should not cost much to change anyway if you have it done at a garage, labour time is 0.2 hrs for that from memory.

It might not cure it but you need to ensure that's at least not causing any issues, its where I would start anyway.

EDIT... I had a thought, some later models might not have the filter fitted here, but I would be surprised if you did not have one. As I say its on the passenger side up against the sill / fuel tank area on a 106. The 206 is the same but on the other side.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG