406 timing belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

studsmassive
My Cars:

406 timing belt

Post by studsmassive »

hi there people i am doing the timing belt on my 406 2.1 td could anyone tell me what a good price is for a kit as i want to do it as cheap as poss thanks
darren
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The idler and tensioner on these engines are usually very reliable, I have never changed one yet in 14 years of 2.1 XM ownership, it is suggested that you change the water pump at the same time as its driven by the cam belt, but again I have only ever had one water pump fail, and that was just after I changed the belt :x . So, if you really need to save money check the idler and tensioner by feel and sound and make sure there is no sign of water leaking from the pump - then it will just cost you the price of the belt.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Id always say change the water pump with the cambelt, as they have a habit of failing after you have changed the belt. Plus most old water pumps show signs of leaks.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Doing a cambelt change as cheep as possible defeats the object.Use an OE kit £60-£75 and pay very close attention to the water pump and the auxiliary belt and its tensioners.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote:Doing a cambelt change as cheep as possible defeats the object.Use an OE kit £60-£75 and pay very close attention to the water pump and the auxiliary belt and its tensioners.
Agreed. Waterpumps always fail just after a timing belt change if you don't replace it.

The cambelt tensioner though, I'm with Peter here. It's sturdy and if it spins silently and is free of any play it'll do one more time no worries.

Do though, as OldPug says, pay very close attention to the auxillary belt tensioner. they fail regularly and I'd be tempted to replace it as a matter of course.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
studsmassive
My Cars:

Post by studsmassive »

thanks for advice i ordered a cambelt kit and aux belt i will risk the water pump as no signs of leaking
darren
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

Just bear in mind that the water pump will need to last for about another 60k miles before the next timing belt change........... i renewed my water pump when i fitted my new timing belt kit just for piece of mind.
studsmassive
My Cars:

Post by studsmassive »

well i have changed the water pump aswell im glad i did like always its a peice of mind it is all working as it should im so happy
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

studsmassive wrote:well i have changed the water pump aswell im glad i did like always its a peice of mind it is all working as it should im so happy
Glad its sorted.......... :wink: