306 crankshaft pulley

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

306 crankshaft pulley

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

iv had a look at the crankshaft pulley and it has a orange/red deposit around it, is this an indicator that its on its way out? thanks
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That sounds more like coolant that's leaked down from the water pump and stained it.

Take cambelt cover off (if possible) and see if pump is OK, look for crusty bits or staining around it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The stain could be down to the two sections of the pulley slipping on the rubber bonding or the belt rubbing rust away from the edge of the pulley, I'd clean it up then check again in a few days before getting too deep with the spanners.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

Likely to be the pulley u/s in my opinion, the 'rust' is a result of the two halfs of the pulley rubbing against each other due to the rubber 'sandwich' failing. Normally you would hear a rattling sound at tickover from it when it fails. Some replace it with a 'solid' version.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You can often see if the outer is moving relative to the inner by painting lines across it and running the engine. If the lines are broken after a run, you know the bond has given up.

Lines like this:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Its not one of those all metal damper types is it?? the one with the huge "clock spring" inside it,I`ve changed lots of them as they fall apart or rattle,and "rusty dust" would tell me to change it.
xantia 1.9td 1999

thanks for all the replies, i dont know how how to post a picture on the forum, the pulley thats on my car is as the one in the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-306-2-0HD ... 33480887a9

Not sure if i can draw lines on it, will have a look tomorrow. the slipping and rust makes sense, sorry im not a machanic hence no technical terms. I say this as during the recent very cold weather whilst starting the car it felt like on afew occasions that the belt slipped, does this make sense, not sure? await your replies?
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

That is the all metal damper type I talked about in my last post.It has a spring inside and no rubber parts.I`ve replaced lots of these,I even had one come apart and the "spring" got into the timing cover and the cambelt failed!! so don't bother with paint marks bin it.
xantia 1.9td 1999

Oldpug wrote:That is the all metal damper type I talked about in my last post.It has a spring inside and no rubber parts.I`ve replaced lots of these,I even had one come apart and the "spring" got into the timing cover and the cambelt failed!! so don't bother with paint marks bin it.
hey, can you recommend a pulley, iv been told theirs 3 different types,
also is the pulley in the following link any good. not sure so many different prices, they all look the same? thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-C5-PEUGEO ... 588bbeadd8
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Use your VIN with Servicebollocks to determine the original part number. That'll give you enough to crossreference with aftermarket suppliers.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

OR,take your old pulley to Euro or GSF with the reg` no of your car.They stock O/E quality ones or budget ones.Early HDi`s will have pulleys with either your all metal damper or the rubber damper type,you can fit either one to your engine.The later HDi`s pulley has a different key way design and will be impossible to fit to early engines.(thats the 3 types)
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

I`ve had another one come in today.206HDi with crank pulley rattling bits of metal on the engine tray.Fitted the old rubber type,no prob.These all metal damper ones are bad news.Why do Peugeot change things??I have never replaced a crank pulley on the old XUD engines,they were just items that stayed on an engine for ever! we still have a 94 306xud workshop runaround 170,000mls all original engine etc. Bring back real cars. Or is it me?(look at my name)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oldpug wrote:Bring back real cars. Or is it me?(look at my name)
I agree but then I'm old too... :D

Is 51 old these days?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia 1.9td 1999

Oldpug wrote:I`ve had another one come in today.206HDi with crank pulley rattling bits of metal on the engine tray.Fitted the old rubber type,no prob.These all metal damper ones are bad news.Why do Peugeot change things??I have never replaced a crank pulley on the old XUD engines,they were just items that stayed on an engine for ever! we still have a 94 306xud workshop runaround 170,000mls all original engine etc. Bring back real cars. Or is it me?(look at my name)
Thanks , would i need to replace anything else whilst doing the crankshaft pulley, for e.g the belt or tensionner pulley etc.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

I always replace the belt,and have a good look at the tensioner.We could start a whole new thread on these?.