partner dw8 1.9 camshaft removal help needed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barrydoran

partner dw8 1.9 camshaft removal help needed

Post by barrydoran »

Hi, the inlet valve clearances on my '03 partner 1.9 diesel have closed right up so I cant get any feeler gauge in. I was checkin gthem because of a hard starting problem after covering all the other bases. I need to get the cam out to replace the shims.

Is it possible to remove the cam without fully removing the timing belt? I'm not trying to avoid doing the belt, just doin the Aux belt and all the other covers. Bear in mind I'm doing this outside in the snow.

I have the flywheel pegged. The back belt cover off and the camshaft pegged. I can probably smash the front one off to save getting at the stupid socket head bolt holding it on ( who thought that was a good idea? ) I can then peg the pump.

Will I be able to get the cam out with just the tensioner released?

Thanks.

Barry.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Hi Barry,

I think the DW8 is nearly identical to the XUD. In which case, you could slip the belt off the cam pulley easy enough once you bring the tensioner back. However, my understanding is that this is not good practise, as removing and refitting the same belt might reduce it's life span. I have read of cases where the belt has broken within a short period of time after refitting.

If you support the engine on a jack and undo the upper and lower engine mounts, you can then tilt the engine forwards/backwards up/down to improve access to covers etc.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
barrydoran

Post by barrydoran »

Thanks for the tip.

I'm going to re-use the old belt just long enough to confirm I've fixed the hard starting problem. I'll then invest in a new belt and pulleys and water pump. Since most of the work seems to be getting the bloody covers off and familiarisation with the engine.

Barry.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Note:

On 'some' of the DW8 engines one of the belt cover bolts also serves as a water pump belt.

Release any pressure in the cooling system (engine cold obviously!) by removing the pressure cap before taking said bolt out.

It won't leak or anything but I have noticed a slight tendency to provoke a leak further down the line if you do this (I guess as the pressure acts against the seal which is not perfect due to a missing bolt)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG