starting issue now its cold

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

studsmassive
My Cars:

starting issue now its cold

Post by studsmassive »

hi there can anyone help me with the cold start prob its not on road at moment but i normally start it daily it was going ok then it was getting harder to start i have noticed bubbles in the fuel line so there must be an air leak any ideas where to start
darren
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Presuming the same car -
406 , i picked up a 2.1 diesel that had been stood for two years with no starting well after some cranking and a lend of a battery it started now for the questions
what should the rpm be sitting at ?

Start with the leakof pipes and work towards the fuel filter then the tank from there.
First though check the fuel filter housing seal as if it has recently been replaced there could be air ingress there.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A favourite spot for leaks on a 2.1 is the rubber primer bulb, they are generally available from most decent motor factors, I believe GSF sell them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Another favourite is the rubber blanking cap on No.1 injector at the end of the leakoff pipe daisy-chain. It often splits.

Have you replaced the glowplugs? These engines need good ones. Does it start better if two glowplug cycles are given before attempting a start?

A good check of the glowplugs is to observe the exhaust when attempting a cold start. If the exhaust issues white smoke during cranking this indicates unburned fuel as a result of ineffective glowplugs. Conversely, if nothing is coming from the exhaust then the problem is air ingress.

Given that you can see air bubbles it's unlikely to be glowplugs but its always worth a check...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
studsmassive
My Cars:

Post by studsmassive »

hi guys thanks for reply havent changed anything yet except fuel filter could this be the problem as when i took the old one out you could see the paper element around the out side however the one i put in you could not it had a hole at the bottom to witch i thought that it would draw from there and filter as it pulls it up as for the leak off i have some pipe somewhere so will change at moment i am trying to fix with no money as i am waiting till after x-mas but i will look at what has been said
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
studsmassive
My Cars:

Post by studsmassive »

well its running spill off pipe changed also found two dead glow plugs so went a pinched two old ones off a mate put it all back together and it jumped into life and it didnt cost me a penny

peugeot 406 2.1 diesel