206 1.9D Throwing auxilliary belts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

206 1.9D Throwing auxilliary belts

Post by Edhertz »

I'm posting this in the hope that one of you good people out there can help me. I've got a little problem in that my 1999 Pug 206 1.9D has thrown two auxiliary belts in last 10 months, the last being on for less than one month. I suspect the belt tensioner is causing this because it leans over slightly to one side when the belt is on. I’ve taken off the tensioner roller and that appears fine so I think it’s down to the tensioner mechanism in some way. I’ve had a go at removing it but seems like something is preventing it and I can’t find anything about it in the Haynes. It’s a DW8 with air con and power steering and thanks in advance.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Not sure if its anything like the Xantia setup but if it is then the spring within the tensionermay need replacing.
If the spring becomes weak it will allow the roller to be pushed slightly out of alignment and chew/throw the belt

Colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i cant think off hand regarding the DW8 but its sort of as Colin say's on a XANT,
the auto tensioner is attatched to a short arm which pivots on two needle bearings, thesre colapse with age allowing the arm to lean over,

if you post the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will have a look at the settup you have on your car, then i might be able to direct you a bit more,

regards malcolm
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Just to say 'job done'. In the end I dropped the engine to withdraw central retaining bolt. The tensioner mechanism was removed complete with spring and replacement was reverse of above. Thanks guys for help and I look forward to doing my Xantia sometime.