Nightmare 307 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaostheory
My Cars:

Nightmare 307 HDi

Post by kaostheory »

I have posted a few other issues with the same car here but I am running out of options and have already run out of spare money.

2002 307 Hdi 2.0 110 RHS 126k miles

Had issues with the turbo not kicking in and narrowed that down to snapped maf sensor and turbo control electrovalve. This solved the turbo problem for a short time. Then it came back and I had another look and discovered the top intercooler hose was loose and the feed to the afore mention electrovalve had been bodged in the past so i replaced the feed wire.

I have connected the car to PP2000 and got the following fault codes:

And here are the parameters relating to the PEF:

Basically the symptoms are that there is no turbo even though I can hear it whistling quite loudly, lots of black smoke above 2k revs and once it gets to 2k revs the engine sounds very deep and throaty.

Please give me some suggestions on what I can check. Or any further info from planet you need to help me. I am a man in need!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That little lot suggests there is either a problem with the turbo wastegate stuck open or a big hole in the pipework 'twixt turbo and inlet manifold or maybe a big hole in the intercooler.

That you can hear the turbo whistling suggests the latter.

If there is a big hole somewhere then that'll also account for the airflow reading being way out for the level of boost measured...

I know nothing in detail of the HDi and the above is just from first principles based on the behavour of a petrol engine with a mass airflow meter and a big hole in the intercooler...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

It's all very complicated on the HDI with all the solenoids/electrovalves/vacuums. I will get out there tomorrow and check everything involved in the air intake system.

Busy day, got to take the bumper off my C5 and sort the washer motor aswell :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

kaostheory wrote:It's all very complicated on the HDI with all the solenoids/electrovalves/vacuums. I will get out there tomorrow and check everything involved in the air intake system.

Busy day, got to take the bumper off my C5 and sort the washer motor aswell :(
Me too, only been broke a couple of years :(
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

Yeah, mines been broken the entire time i've owned it, only realised with all the road salt recently that I need them.

Going to upgrade my headlight bulbs as well I think they seem really dull compared to other cars.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

kaostheory wrote:Yeah, mines been broken the entire time i've owned it, only realised with all the road salt recently that I need them.

Going to upgrade my headlight bulbs as well I think they seem really dull compared to other cars.
I think I must be quite complacent about this problem as most other C5 and Xantia owners are dissatisfied with the light output but it has never bothered me.
I will quantify that statement a bit by saying that IMO the lights on the GS were incomparably excellent.

You may have seen that there is a mod for the Xantia headlights that involves wires, relays and some low-level Voodoo, that may be the thing you need.

- or just drive around with the foglights on like half of the rest of the population :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: - or just drive around with the foglights on like half of the rest of the population :evil:
Don't get me started on that subject Steve :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Absolutely one of my pet hates Jim!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Does your 307 have a particulate filter? If so faults such as turbo pressure and EGR circuits are invariably caused by a blocked particulate filter or some of the paraphernalia linked with it such as the Eolys fluid levels.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Do you know if your 307 has a FAP filter? I thought the 2.0 110 8v HDi in a 307 is FAP equipped?

Just a question, nothing to do with your problem, sorry.

Could it be the turbo which is at fault? Its no doubt a sensor somewhere, or a hole in pipework ducting.

Im slightly alarmed at how many 2.0HDis are having similar problems, there is quite a few people on here with recent threads reporting similar problems with their cars.

As far as C5 lights go, i dont find them to be that bad, they give a good and full range of light, however they are a bit short, more powerful bulbs so they projected further would be ideal. Ive not had he urge to upgrade the yet.

Re fogs: I know there is a stigma about people driving with front fog lights turned on, however ive yet to see any which dazzel me, they are usually ony headlamp bright.

Some cars now use the indicators as aids when turning, if you watch modern Mercs or even the newest shape Seat Ibiza, when they turn corners or indicate while their headlamps are on, the frong fog of the indicating side also lights. I think this is a silly and pointless idea, it just looks like your fogs are broken, it also makes you look like an idiot in the eyes of fog light haters.

S1 C5s have fog lights in their headlamps (does that qualify them as more of a driving light? I dont know) anyway, they point directly in front of the car and so light up the blind patch left by the lights and also they shine on the edges of the road, ideal when on a twisting country lane.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

DickieG: Yes it does thats what the second image information is about
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It would appear that the next course of action for you is to remove and clean (or replace) the particulate filter with a pressure washer, as I understand it when the particulate filter becomes blocked the turbo cannot spin up correctly hence the fault code, the worrying thing about not remedying it is that the turbo can apparently suffer back pressure which does the turbo no good at all.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kaostheory
My Cars:

Post by kaostheory »

DickieG: Thanks for the info, I don;t suppose you know of any guides for doing this do you?

I was considering having a fap/cat removal with remap to eliminate the costly piece of kit for good
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

kaostheory wrote:DickieG: Thanks for the info, I don;t suppose you know of any guides for doing this do you?

I was considering having a fap/cat removal with remap to eliminate the costly piece of kit for good
I know that using a Lexia on Citroens around that era the ECU can be programmed to say that the filter is no longer there so I presume it may be possible to do the same with a Pug using a Peugeot Diag, as I understand it the filter is simply removed or you can drill several holes though it using a long drill bit (I'm not kidding) and/or re-programme the ECU/BSI accordingly.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

I don't agree (though I could be wrong of course)

the particulate filter is only partially loaded and you don't have any error codes associated with the DPF
I have had DPF system faults (my eolys fluid ran out once) and it caused DPF error codes long before the boost pressure was affected
that said, if you don't get the boost/turbo system fixed ASAP then it will stop it from regenerating and then you will have DPF problems
I don't know where the intercooler is on a 307 but I had loads of problems with a split intercooler on my 806
on the 806 the intercooler is buried inside the bumper so in the end I made two circular bits of one inch thick plywood, I just cut them out with a jigsaw
I put a hole in the centre of one which was the right size for a tyre valve (a kwikfit guy just gave me a valve)
then I put a circular piece of wood in the hose on each side of the intercooler, so pulled the pipe of the turbo outlet and put one there, and pulled the pipe off the inlet manifold and put the other there, and put hose clamps on to seal them

This meant that I could
a: pump up the intercooler with a footpump
b: observe the boost pressure on my diagnostic computer with it under pressure

I got a hissing noise from inside the front bumper which kind of proved the point

Obviously don't put more than 1 bar of pressure into the system but hopefully you have a foot pump with a guage on it

You could also have a worn out boost control solenoid or a vacuum leak

On the VNT turbos (as fitted to the 2.2) I think lack of vacuum leads to overboost which causes the ECU to freak and go into low power mode to protect the turbo

I think on the fixed geometry turbos as fitted to the older 2.0 110 engines like my 806 a lack of vacuum will prevent it from making boost at all, but I'm not 100% sure on that