pryotechnic seat belts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickmcx
My Cars:

pryotechnic seat belts

Post by mickmcx »

I need some advice on a seat belt problem. It's the drivers seat belt in an 07 peugeot partner van that doesn't retract back into its housing.I'ave been told by people in the car breaking trade that the belts bolted the driver to the seat on impact.From what these people explained the techniclogy of it saves lives by pinning the driver to the seat.They have also said the whole unit needs replacing if it's set off.Well my van hasn't been in an accident so the pryotechnic charge in the unit shouldn't have been set off.A local mechanic has said it isn't anything obvious like a twisted belt etc.It would be great to know if these belts are sealed units or whether they can be repaired bearing in mind the van has only done 38'000 miles without an accident.There is probadly a seat belt expert somewhere out there.There must be a siimple way around the problem any help or knowledge would be appreciatied.
I own an 07 peugeot patner van 1.6 hdi 75bhp.
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

"Pinning the driver to the seat" is probably a slight exageration..........When the seat belt 'charge' is activated (due to the main air bag being activated) all that happens is that the seat belt is further 'tensioned' by it being retracted by a few inches to help restrain the driver (or passenger). If you intend to remove it from the vehicle it is very important to first disconnect the battery and also, remove the key from the ignition........when refitting, make sure all connections have been made before re-connecting the battery. Dont re-connect the battery without the seat belt fitted and connected or you will trigger the airbag fault light which will then need a reset at the dealers.
mickmcx
My Cars:

problem sorted

Post by mickmcx »

Thanks ever so much for your quick reply.Yeh I must admit I do intend to exagrate when I'm trying to explain something.Anyway I got the problem sorted out it was all a simple and expensive matter of ordering a new belt.For some unexplainable reason I thought the the pryotechnics were contained within the coiling unit of the belt.This isn't the case and therefore it's just a matter of repalacing belt unit end of story. As this forum is so helpful I'ave another query which someone might be able to give me advice about. I'ave been told that the oil used in peugeot 1.6 hdi is specif to just three different motors.And that putting the wrong turbo oil blows the turbo up. Any feed back on this subject would therefore be most welcome.
I own an 07 peugeot patner van 1.6 hdi 75bhp.