406 rpm

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

studsmassive
My Cars:

406 rpm

Post by studsmassive »

hi there i am new here and new to the 406 , i picked up a 2.1 diesel that had been stood for two years with no starting well after some cranking and a lend of a battery it started now for the questions
what should the rpm be sitting at ?
there is a rattle behind the cam cover it seems any idea's?
cambelt change at what mileage?
the car has only got 106000 on the clock and if you pick the revs up to 1500 is as smooth as a whistle

thanks in advance darren
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum :D

Hard starting may be glowplugs (very essential on this engine) or air ingress into the fuel lines. I'd swap the glowplugs as a matter of course on a new car and also, whilst you have the top-half of the inlet manifold off, replace the leakoff pipes as these are critical to good starting. You'll often find the blanking cap on the end of No.1 injector split and leaking.

Air ingress can cause varying idle speeds (hunting) when cold. Bad air leaks can also lead to a terminal runaway condition as well.

Normal idle should be around 950 rpm when hot but this is non-adjustable. Cold idle should be around 1050 rpm.

Does the engine stoop as soon as you switch off? If it does then fine, if it runs on for a while and brings on the engine management light then you have a pump problem.

Replace the fuel filter as the pump is critical about having a nice clean one.

The rattle (especially if it disappears on increasing revs) is most likely the auxillary belt automatic tensioner suffering failed bearings or a worn spring. This needs to be sorted quickly as it is possible the belt can jump off and get entangled in the cam belt with expensive consequences.

Cambelts, along with the water pump, should be changed every 36,000 in my book. It's not a fantastically difficult job and as the car is new to you, I'd do the job for peace of mind. Do take time to understand how the tensioner works before starting the job as it's not quite conventional. Do change the waterpump at the same time as they do like to fail shortly after a cambelt change otherwise.

This may have raised more questions that it has answered. No worries, just ask away as much as you wish :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
studsmassive
My Cars:

Post by studsmassive »

thanks for advise what should i expect to pay for the cambelt kit and water pump
peugeot 406 2.1 diesel