The most reliable and unreliable Peugeots?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I`ve been working with Peugeot`s for over 40yrs and you guys have already said what I think,they don't make them as they used too.Old classic 404 & 504 models go for ever.The taxi rank at Luxor airport Egypt is full of 70`s 504 estates still going strong.I have a 1964 404 and almost all of it is original,How many 307 & 407 models will you see in 2058!!! Anything with an XU diesel in it has got to be top of the list.We have had a 306 XLD (170K) as a workshop hack for about ten years,it gets loads of abuse but keeps going for more. I think Peugeot started to go down hill around 2000 by cramming so much "giz moz" in for the price.One of my customers 607 has been in a Peugeot Dealer for 15 weeks!! with the dreaded anti pollution fault and they can not solve it,I`m not kidding, so its off to Coventry.Whats going on? Just list all the faults experienced on 307 & 407.Did you see the report on French Car electrics being the main cause of breakdowns in the UK.
They are all "Playstation Cars", bring back real cars.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Oldpug wrote:+the report on French Car electrics being the main cause of breakdowns in the UK.
They are all "Playstation Cars", bring back real cars.
Hear - Hear :D

I vote for the Luddite Party.............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

A French friend came over to visit yesterday in her 2000 Peugeot 406 HDi 110 saloon yesterday, its done 320,000 kilometers (200K miles), mostly with her and its been extremely reliable she says. She thinks nothing of doing 1400 kilometers in a day over to Germany in it :shock:

I think there is pretty good proven evidence that the 2.0 HDi 8v is among the best of modern dieses. 8-)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree as I said earlier. It was only the fact that I saw a number for sale with in excess of 300,000 miles on them that persuaded me it was a worthwhile risk. Mine has now done 195.000 and still runs like clockwork, doesn't look as though the engine has been touched in years.

Peter
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad wrote:A French friend came over to visit yesterday in her 2000 Peugeot 406 HDi 110 saloon yesterday, its done 320,000 kilometers (200K miles), mostly with her and its been extremely reliable she says. She thinks nothing of doing 1400 kilometers in a day over to Germany in it :shock:

I think there is pretty good proven evidence that the 2.0 HDi 8v is among the best of modern dieses. 8-)
Hi Guys , Trawling through this Forum reveals a mine of information - some of which I understand .

I have no good reason to change my Synergie other than change for changes sake , it's been, and still is, an absolute belter of a Car , key thing being in our Family from new & fully serviced I suppose .

Possibly All of us aspire to something ( supposedly) better or " different", finances allowing , but it can be a giant leap of very costly faith for some of us , certainly myself.;

I am currently trying to amass as much info' as I can on the HDI engined vehicles and welcome any hints or tips from those who have actual experience of such, but am long past the stage / ability where I regard repairing motor vehicles as a fun thing to do !

Again , speaking only from personal experience , The family member from whom I purchased my Syn' 5 - years hence, then bought a Fiat Ulysee version of the C8 '
Dealer demo - 700 mileson clock- 2.0 Litre Diesel (presumably 16v ? 110hp ? it was badged as a JTD) the car was a Effin' disaster from the word go , mainly due to electronic failures/gremlins that the dealer was unable to fix :evil: , in short He deeply regretted the purchase and wishes he had kept the Syn' !

He now runs a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso EGS - 1.6 HDI ( 16v ? ) 110 hp , 17K miles. which so far has been completely faultless , economical , a delight to drive and as always is serviced on the dot.
Yet I read horror stories about that engine ?

I'm not sure if I would want an EGS box for towing ? ( He doesn't tow) .
(I once owned an Xm 2.1TD auto - the auto box was garbage.) But it's partially irrelevant since C4GP's are beyond my means. Unless I wait a while , a long while....

So then, if I were looking to change vehicles for example , which HDI motor should I go for on a modest budget of possibly 3K ? 110hp would be enough since I already more than manage with 90hp, anything more would be a bonus .Reliablilty and ease of maintainence ( if such a thing still exists) are Paramount.

It would have to be an MPV type , or even a combi type van with extra seats / windows ? assuming I could obtain reasonable insurance , are they still "funny" with vans ?
Vans also appear to fetch more money than a near equivalent MPV ? maybe I don't know where / how to look these days.

:?: One of the hardest things for me is actually identifying what the actual engine is in modern ( anything in the last 12 years )vehicles .

All sensible comments are welcomed :wink: . Thank you.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Citroenmad wrote:A French friend came over to visit yesterday in her 2000 Peugeot 406 HDi 110 saloon yesterday, its done 320,000 kilometers (200K miles), mostly with her and its been extremely reliable she says. She thinks nothing of doing 1400 kilometers in a day over to Germany in it :shock:

Correct,Ten or more years ago if you visited any city in Europe chances were your taxi would have been a 406,years before that a 504,ditto 404 and so on.I don`t see many new Peugeot taxi`s now.Taxi drivers are the best advert for a reliable/economical car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would say anything with the 8 valve 2.0 litre 90 or 110 hp engine, from then on they get more complicated.

Peter
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Dippy wrote:

Hi Guys , Trawling through this Forum reveals a mine of information - some of which I understand .

I have no good reason to change my Synergie other than change for changes sake , it's been, and still is, an absolute belter of a Car , key thing being in our Family from new & fully serviced I suppose .

Possibly All of us aspire to something ( supposedly) better or " different", finances allowing , but it can be a giant leap of very costly faith for some of us , certainly myself.;

I am currently trying to amass as much info' as I can on the HDI engined vehicles and welcome any hints or tips from those who have actual experience of such, but am long past the stage / ability where I regard repairing motor vehicles as a fun thing to do !

Again , speaking only from personal experience , The family member from whom I purchased my Syn' 5 - years hence, then bought a Fiat Ulysee version of the C8 '
Dealer demo - 700 mileson clock- 2.0 Litre Diesel (presumably 16v ? 110hp ? it was badged as a JTD) the car was a Effin' disaster from the word go , mainly due to electronic failures/gremlins that the dealer was unable to fix :evil: , in short He deeply regretted the purchase and wishes he had kept the Syn' !

He now runs a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso EGS - 1.6 HDI ( 16v ? ) 110 hp , 17K miles. which so far has been completely faultless , economical , a delight to drive and as always is serviced on the dot.

(I once owned an Xm 2.1TD auto - the auto box was garbage.) But it's partially irrelevant since C4GP's are beyond my means. Unless I wait a while , a long while....

So then, if I were looking to change vehicles for example , which HDI motor should I go for on a modest budget of possibly 3K ? 110hp would be enough since I already more than manage with 90hp, anything more would be a bonus .Reliablilty and ease of maintainence ( if such a thing still exists) are Paramount.

It would have to be an MPV type , or even a combi type van with extra seats / windows ? assuming I could obtain reasonable insurance , are they still "funny" with vans ?
Vans also appear to fetch more money than a near equivalent MPV ? maybe I don't know where / how to look these days.

:?: One of the hardest things for me is actually identifying what the actual engine is in modern ( anything in the last 12 years )vehicles .

I don't know a lot about the 2.0 16v 110bhp HDi engine, it was not fitted to an awful lot of cars which might bring the question, why not?

The 2.0HDi 8v in both 90 & 110 powers is very hardy, I have had 4 cars with this engine now, of varying milages, and have never had any problems with them. They are very refined, economical and faily nippy too.

You can get a 2.0HDI Synergie, that might be a good bet since you need a MPV. Or if you can live with a slighltly smaller one, a Xsara Picasso?

There ar of course the Berlingo Multispaces or just huge C5 estates.

The 2.0 8v HDi is a well proven engine, obviously getting a good car which has been well maintained is a must, but they do appear to go on forever.

The 1.6HDi engine can have urbo problems, this seems to be put down largely to the silly long service intervals (20K) and thing oil pipes which feed the turbo. Get one which has been serviced regularily and problems should be resolved. Its also worth noting this engine needs low sulphur oil and if this is not used will not help the 1.6HDi at all. Not a bad engine at all if looked after.

The EGS box, might nt be too problematic and certainly better than the earlier sensodrive boxes ... however the way both the EGS and Sensodrive operate might drive you mad or you might like it. I know a few people who have had EGS C4 Pics and have sold them before a year as they hated the box. It does not have the 'creep' than normal autos do, which can make parking intersting ... if your not used to it you either stay still and the car revs slightly or the clutch cuts in and you fly at high speed into the thing you were parking against! THe gearchanges are paused and not like an automatic, they are slow changes, if you have driven a Smart Car you will know what I mean. Still there are many around and it is a popular choice, so some people must get along with them. We had a Peugeot sensordrive for a while, it was ok but in the end drove me mad, so much so for 2 months before the car was sold it wasnt used.

If your going for something after the 2.0HDi 8v generation, I can fully recommend the 2.0HDi 16v 138 , a reliable, refined and economical engine which drives superbly.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes the 'T' falls off :D
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad wrote:
Dippy wrote:

I don't know a lot about the 2.0 16v 110bhp HDi engine, it was not fitted to an awful lot of cars which might bring the question, why not?

The 2.0HDi 8v in both 90 & 110 powers is very hardy, I have had 4 cars with this engine now, of varying milages, and have never had any problems with them. They are very refined, economical and faily nippy too.

You can get a 2.0HDI Synergie, that might be a good bet since you need a MPV. Or if you can live with a slighltly smaller one, a Xsara Picasso?

There ar of course the Berlingo Multispaces or just huge C5 estates.

The 2.0 8v HDi is a well proven engine, obviously getting a good car which has been well maintained is a must, but they do appear to go on forever.

The 1.6HDi engine can have urbo problems, this seems to be put down largely to the silly long service intervals (20K) and thing oil pipes which feed the turbo. Get one which has been serviced regularily and problems should be resolved. Its also worth noting this engine needs low sulphur oil and if this is not used will not help the 1.6HDi at all. Not a bad engine at all if looked after.

The EGS box, might nt be too problematic and certainly better than the earlier sensodrive boxes ... however the way both the EGS and Sensodrive operate might drive you mad or you might like it. I know a few people who have had EGS C4 Pics and have sold them before a year as they hated the box. It does not have the 'creep' than normal autos do, which can make parking intersting ... if your not used to it you either stay still and the car revs slightly or the clutch cuts in and you fly at high speed into the thing you were parking against! THe gearchanges are paused and not like an automatic, they are slow changes, if you have driven a Smart Car you will know what I mean. Still there are many around and it is a popular choice, so some people must get along with them. We had a Peugeot sensordrive for a while, it was ok but in the end drove me mad, so much so for 2 months before the car was sold it wasnt used.

If your going for something after the 2.0HDi 8v generation, I can fully recommend the 2.0HDi 16v 138 , a reliable, refined and economical engine which drives superbly.
I really appreciate the helpful info' guys - thank you.

Looked at a couple of Syn/806 HDI and they appeared to be an under bonnet nightmare compared to the XUD. Can't find one in anywhere near the mechanical/serviced condition of my existing Syn' .but I am hardly likely to .

I don't really want to buy an 8 - 11 yr old car , then have to fettle the DMF , Crank pulley , Timing belt - rollers / Aux setup , may as well have bought newer , although that's no real guarantee of anything.

One of the main is being confident enough to advise my buddy , who swings the spanners on my behalf nowadays but is not a mechanic, on the repairs to an XUD born of past experience owning over 11 such vehicles with variants of this motor. AND - Exellent advice from Members of this Forum.
HDI's are a step into the void pour moi', as you will have gathered .

Berlingo's etc. are too small - we are a family of giants , xara picasso I could maybe live with if the seat would remount further back . but would still need want 110 hp min.

Already very fearful of 1.6 HDI turbo issues , the mere mention of FAP filters and Eolys potions makes my nadgers shrivel , and shout fer me old Mammy ! who is long since past , sadly.

I have driven the BIL's Grand Pic ( 1.6 HDI EGS) and you describe the sensation exactly - when moving off / parking etc I was waiting for the auto "creep" when it failed to materialise , expecting modest forward progression I gave it a small footfull of gas - taken aback is the censored comment :oops: I now know why he does the two - feet shuffle , coupled with the electro - handbrake it feels like driving a computer programme - you have to remember what you did last :wink:

Remembering what my other - half was like with our old Xm fully auto , frantically operating the pedally - things like an Arthritic Tap Dancer on L.S.D , head buried into the steering wheel whilst reaching for the parking brake catch ( She thought the handbrake pedal was a funny clutch) I can only imagine she would become immediately aqquainted with local Flora and Fauna :shock:

Being fair to the GPic , my BIL is entirely confident with the process , and uses the flappy paddles to better effect than it changes itself - question remains would i want to ? but since they are unaffordable at the mo' it's not yet relevant .

What did they put the 138 ponies motor into ? would I then be into FAP, EOL , LSD - and ultimately RE - HAB :?

Same question with the 2.0HDI 8V 110 .was this in any MPV ?

Sorry for all the Q. but knowledge is power ! the wife has a diary.

Thanks again
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

:lol: I enjoyed that reply!

I would not buy an EGS gearbox, if I had an auto I would want it to be a fully automatic and not a manual gearbox with a slow whitted automation.

Its is annoying, as we have considered a C4 Grand Pic as our C5 estates replacement, however as we would want the 2.0HDi 138 and not the 1.6HDi it would have to be a EGS (no manual 2.0HDis in the GP) and that is just no good! Also it would need the air suspension on the rear, and only that is on the 2.0HDi ... anyway ...

If you are happy with your XUD Synergie then stick with that, better the devil you know and all that. If you wat a change then there is no point in swapping for the same car but with a different engine, as you will soon want to change for something different.

In that case the only thing I can think of in the PSA garage with a big MPV is the C8/807 and the Fiat thingy.

The C8 is available with the 2.0 16v HDi 110 - some of which are advertised as a Non-FAP, not sure how true that is but it might be promising. AGain though I don't know anything about the earlier 16v 110 2.0hdi. They also have the 2.2HDi which has a FAP and 136bhp and then in slightly later C8s the 2.0Hi 138 can be had, which is good but again has a FAP. Now the FAP is not something to get worked up about, it can be reliable and fairly painless. It does depend which HDi you go for and where you use the car - in the town it wont get chance to work etc, so if it is confined to the town then ...

A particulate filter (FAP) is something to get used to, as many many new cars have them now. The 2.2HDi seems the most prone to problems with the FAP and has shorter servicing times for the FAP. The later 2.0HDi 16v 138 has longer intervals and very few reports of issues with the filter. We have two 138s and they have been perfect.

If economy is not a huge thing (an XUD Syn wont be great im thinking) then there are always the 2.0 16v petrol C8s ...

The only MPV with the 2.0 8v I know of its the Synergie.

Do you need an MPV to carry 5+ people or just for the space it offers?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad wrote::lol: I enjoyed that reply!

I would not buy an EGS gearbox, if I had an auto I would want it to be a fully automatic and not a manual gearbox with a slow whitted automation.

Its is annoying, as we have considered a C4 Grand Pic as our C5 estates replacement, however as we would want the 2.0HDi 138 and not the 1.6HDi it would have to be a EGS (no manual 2.0HDis in the GP) and that is just no good! Also it would need the air suspension on the rear, and only that is on the 2.0HDi ... anyway ...

If you are happy with your XUD Synergie then stick with that, better the devil you know and all that. If you wat a change then there is no point in swapping for the same car but with a different engine, as you will soon want to change for something different.

In that case the only thing I can think of in the PSA garage with a big MPV is the C8/807 and the Fiat thingy.

The C8 is available with the 2.0 16v HDi 110 - some of which are advertised as a Non-FAP, not sure how true that is but it might be promising. AGain though I don't know anything about the earlier 16v 110 2.0hdi. They also have the 2.2HDi which has a FAP and 136bhp and then in slightly later C8s the 2.0Hi 138 can be had, which is good but again has a FAP. Now the FAP is not something to get worked up about, it can be reliable and fairly painless. It does depend which HDi you go for and where you use the car - in the town it wont get chance to work etc, so if it is confined to the town then ...

A particulate filter (FAP) is something to get used to, as many many new cars have them now. The 2.2HDi seems the most prone to problems with the FAP and has shorter servicing times for the FAP. The later 2.0HDi 16v 138 has longer intervals and very few reports of issues with the filter. We have two 138s and they have been perfect.

If economy is not a huge thing (an XUD Syn wont be great im thinking) then there are always the 2.0 16v petrol C8s ...

The only MPV with the 2.0 8v I know of its the Synergie.

Do you need an MPV to carry 5+ people or just for the space it offers?
Hi Chris.

My current car already has a slow witted automaton - moi' :)

That would explain why I can't find a manual Gpic 2.0 HDI when searching. probably unafforadble anyway.

As mentioned in a previous post , I am very wary of C8 or it's partners .my BIL's 1994 Ulysee was a disaster from new(2.0 HDi )unless the later 2.0 hdi is much much better ?

Tend to do 12 mile journeys minimum , and paste it once a week to get the crap out . also use 1 tank Vpower - 2 tanks tesco - makes quite a difference.

Economy driving has become second nature so 42 - 44 when careful.- change up at 2K revs.- motorways + keeping up with the ratrace 38 average .( the syn is low geared - appx 3K at 70mph) big bonus when towing though .
Use Climate - remove 2 mpg motoway - 4 mpg traffic.
Use roofbars/box - remove 6 - 10 mpg !! ( I sold them)

Fully loaded towing 1250Kg appx 26 - 28 @50mph
20 - 24 @60mph
Both include steep hills and motorway inclines.

The syn has been highly maintained from new , tried a friends petrol 2.0 appx 5mpg worse solo ( being careful)- lightly loaded , absolute disaster with family + luggage etc. or towing , not relaxing to drive like a diesel .
There are some "cheap" GPic petrols about - most appear to have EGS issues though.

Been pack to petrol a few times , convincing myself I could get reasonable mileage - I can't . the wifes fiesta 1.25 -now sold ( cracking engine though ) only averaged 35 - 36 mpg.

Not at all unhappy with Syn - been best car ever owned overall , real tough build .
The C8 replacemant is a pale shadow by comparison.

Still looking at HDI Syn's but , as you rightly point out , spending 2K to gain 20 hp + 5 mpg is not good on paper.
DMF flwheels put me off too , but they appear to be on everything diesel these days ?

Need MPV for - space + height of seat . a soft roader would also suite , been down the L.R Disco route - never again !

Many thanks.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm, a difficult one, im not sure what in the French garage would suit your needs or wants unless it was a GP or C8. I would have said a grand Scenic though you would need a DCi and no one really needs a DCi! if you see what I mean ... especially not a 1.9DCi, too much evidence really puts me off it.

Of course many cars do suit your needs, there is the Vau*ha*l Za*ira, I believe there is a test you need to pass in order to clarify you know absolutely nothing about cars and have no real passion or interest in driving before you buy one of those. I think this is almost a given when making any purchase of a product wearing a Vauxhall badge.

There are many things which could be a good replacement for your Synergie, just depends on what you like and your budget.

Soft reader hey, usually mean lots of 4x4 trouble, more to go wrong and think of all that extra weight and drag. Saying that we have had a few and I did like them.

We used to have a Renault Scenic RX4, which was a superb car and really funky looking. Buy a diesel (which is the earlier 1.9Dci and its quite good, the diesel also comes with brakes as standard, always a handy feature I find) and they are good. You can also remove the propshaft and so make it a fwd when you dont need the 4x4 bits. We also had a Freelander TD4, which was a nice car and the BWM sourced 2.0TD is a cracker too, it averaged 37MPG. Though they do have faults and get costly, ours had a clutch costing £1200! Our old Rangie was very reliable, but with 10MPG its runnings costs were noticeable.

So it looks like a C8 is out then, Im not surprised they have issues with the electric sliding doors. The 1007 we had has only two doors and they are sliding (same configuration/parts to the C8). What I found most annoying was when parking on a hill I couldnt get out of the car, as the motors dont like to work up or down hill! Well they will invent these needless ideas! (EGS gearbox box rings a bell here).

Saying that I do like the look of the C8s and there are quite a few about, so they cant be that bad. Possibly better if you avoid the 2.0 16v 110 early engine and go for the 138 version - which does seem much more reliable and there are fairly few reports of fault with it.

I notice over in another thread the Espace is being talked about, the 2.2 Dti seems to have shocking MPG and so that is probably not a contender either.

Actually, I think you might already have the best of the MPVs. Unless you go really new and then you could count in the C5 GP, Peugeot 5008 and possibly even the 3008 (which is growing on me) and they do seem fairly reliable too. Of course you also then have Fords S-Max (uses the 1.6 and 2.0 HDi PSA engines, stay clear of Fords 1.8!).

If you want a decent MPV for reasonable money, then my best recomendation would be one of the Ford/VW/Seat trio. All use the very hardy 1.9TDi VW engine which, asside from the odd EGR complaint, are tough and reliable.

My other suggestion would be a big estate, like a 406 or C5 HDi, they can be had for little money now and in my experience they prove to be excellent cars, I have no idea what I would replace mind with should I need to, it woud have to be another C5. Ideal if you carry weight in the car as they self level, of course, and they are very spacious too.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Not really following along from the theme of this thread, however I have grown a real liking for Peugeot 3008s :oops: I first thought is there a more hideous car around, but now after seeing a lot of them I really like the looks of it! Its not a normal looking hatchback, nor a soft roader or an MPV, its kind of all three ... and has a split tailgate, just like a Rangie.

Ive just been watching a few reviews on youtube and they look very neatly packaged with some excellent ideas in them. Really like the pop up head up display and the radar which tells you how many seconds away you are from the car infront - that might be a bit of a gadget perhaps, but a lot of drivers could do with one. It can also be had with a fancy damping afair on the rear struts to help limit body roll. Of course most things which seem a bit different or interesting are options.

The cabin is also very nice, I like the driving position and the space too. Might have to give one a drive actually. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10