206 Battery Jump Start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chemexhants
My Cars:

206 Battery Jump Start

Post by chemexhants »

Had to jump start my '05 206 this morning. After doing this the engine kept revving to around 4000 until I touched the accelerator when it dropped to 1000 revs then jumped to 2500, and keeps doing this. Do I need to reset the BSI or is there something I'm missing?

Stephen
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its a petrol car it could be the throtle idle control stepper motor playing around,

i would try switching the ignition on and off a few times without starting the engine,

this might reset the stepper motor,

or did you conect/flash the jump leads up the wrong way to start with as this might upset the ECU

regards malcolm
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

You have to be so careful these days or you can crash the BSi !! There is a procedure just to disconnect the battery
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Thanks for the replies. The problem has now corrected itself.

Spoke with a Peugeot techie who says that the BSI wasn't woken properly by simply jump starting. I should have turned on the sidelights first to wake the BSI unit and then started the engine. That overcomes the problem.

Also, before disconnecting a battery everything should be turned off and 3-4 minutes should elapse before disconnection occurs. That way the BSI will shut down correctly.
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

chemexhants wrote:Also, before disconnecting a battery everything should be turned off and 3-4 minutes should elapse before disconnection occurs. That way the BSI will shut down correctly.
This is true :) , however you must not open any door or anything for a few minutes or it will not shut down. That includes the bonnet on most models too (so you have keys in pocket ideally) and have the bonnet open, then wait a few minutes before disconnecting the battery.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG