90/G 205 - dim-dip relay

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

90/G 205 - dim-dip relay

Post by TooMany2cvs »

First - one piece of information you should know... I hate dim-dip. It was a bloody stupid idea, encouraging cretins to use their lights incorrectly, and it's a great way to kill headlight bulbs.

Last night, I left the sidies on on 'erselfs 205 (90/G pikey-spec 1.1 Style) briefly. Turn the ignition back on, the dip light comes on at reduced oomph, and the grass ahead glows gently. Oh, great. Spawn of Stan is fitted and still working.

So where's the relay or resistor likely to be hiding, so I can remove it and throw it firmly at the bin, where it belongs...?
Adrian
toomany2cvs (a) gmail.com
A miscellany of motorised silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I can help you with this as I had to look at mine recently (the relay but I'll try to cover it all for you)

The resistor (looks like a silver cylinder about the size of a clipper lighter thing) is around the battery positive unit (the block on the front panel with the fan fuses in)

Its normally clipped in but if you look at the wiring you should be able to find it, possibly around the radiator nearside. There is not enough wiring for it to be too far away. Also look around the n/s indicator unit too, perhaps its lives in a box section in the inner wing. Mine's cable tied to the +ve unit as it was flapping in the breeze when I first purchased the car years ago, so I would guess they have a c type clip somewhere to hold it. In any case, you should be able to find it without issue.

Unplug it and plug it back in again, usually corrosion on the pins is a prime cause of failure. Relay failure will not cause your issue, but dim dip resistor failure might. Check for corrosion on the plug.

Now, the actual feed to it is switched via a relay (from the ignition switch) so dim dip only operates when the ignition is on. The relay is next to the scuttle panel on the nearside, not far above where the washer piping goes through. You should be able to find it as its probably the only relay floating around there.

Note: Mines the facelift 91 model, but I hope this helps ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

Thanks, Spider, that's a good place to start, but...
spider wrote:Unplug it and plug it back in again, usually corrosion on the pins is a prime cause of failure. Relay failure will not cause your issue, but dim dip resistor failure might. Check for corrosion on the plug.
I think you misunderstand me. The resistor will be being unplugged and thrown violently at the bin. Maybe being stamped on first.
Adrian
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

TooMany2cvs wrote:Thanks, Spider, that's a good place to start, but...

I think you misunderstand me. The resistor will be being unplugged and thrown violently at the bin. Maybe being stamped on first.
You're welcome Adrian :)

I do want to see pics of said crushed dim dip unit though please ;)

You may have to join two of the wires together in the plug to bypass it then. You can use two male spades to do this.

Tip: Unplug the relay on the scuttle first to see if that actually 'fixes' it.

Although a requirement (EU) when new, its not tested on an MOT so no one would be concerned anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

spider wrote:You may have to join two of the wires together in the plug to bypass it then.
With other PSA cars of the era, it's been as simple as disconnect resistor, throw away... Bypassing the relays is a good plan on 2cvs, though - might do it here, as well - it helps to keep things cool and saves embarrassment when a relay has a little lie-down and decides to leave you without dip beam at the least convenient moments... (Bin there, dun that)
Although a requirement (EU) when new
Not one we can blame Brussels for - it was only ever a UK silliness.
Adrian