No ooomph!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris56000
My Cars:

No ooomph!!!

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!
Bought a C5 2.0HDi only a couple of months ago. Has driven superb up until now but now am noticing a serious loss of power. When accelerating my foot seems to be right to the floor. I have no overtaking power at all. I've no warning lights, no 'limp home' warnings, no 'service warnings'. Car just seems to have no guts. The engine doesn't appear to want to go anywhere over 3500 revs, It just sounds like it's screaming.
This is exactly the fault I've got on my '406 (same engine!!!) as well!!! If you accelerate to about 4000 rpm you can feel a bit of a surge but it's not very much, and you can barely get over 60 on long uphill motorway inclines, and on steeper hills on all-purpose roads, such as round Leek and Ashbourne for instance, it struggles to get to over 35!!!

I can't get my PP2000 software to activate on my lappy yet so haven't read anything out as of yet!!!

Suggestions please?

Chris Williams

PS!!! Engine and oil temps both exactly "90" once warmed up (engine coolant temp a bit lower on cold days) and I can't hear any untoward noises from anwhere or any whistles like the author of the quoted post - just no ooooomph at all!!!
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I don't know the engine, but it sounds like you've maybe got air ingress on the fuel line? Or possibly a fuel line blockage or obstruction, like a blocked fuel filter? This would usually cause you to hit a brick wall at a certain rpm like you describe.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It's worth changing the fuel filter (as above) if you are not sure when it was last done.

I would half expect it to record a low pressure fault if it was blocked to excess, but you never know. A blocked fuel filter will cause loss of power, so will a blocked air filter or restricted air inlet (although if its air it will usually smoke, but not always)

Best to start with simple cheap things first, ensure fuel + air filters are good.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If these are '110' engines then a leak in the turbo output pipes or the intercooler will give you that effect.

Peter
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

On my way into work this afternoon I did notice a hissing/singing noise a bit like you get if you've a car window slightly open or a car-door not quite shut properly, and sometimes you'll get an intermittent surge of power from the turbo at various engine-speeds of 2500 - 3500 rev/min!!! - is this typical of leakage from the turbo-pipework?

My brother-in-law said it had "turbo-lag" but that's something these engines (***it IS a '110!!!***) don't suffer from I understand!!!

Anyone got any pictures of where the turbocharger pipes I need to check are? Those daft drawings on the PSB website are too small and tiddly to identify 'em!!!

Chris Williams
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It could be a fault with the vacuum solenoid system. On the HDi these control boost pressure.

Steve.
not applicable