Leaks!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris56000
My Cars:

Leaks!!!

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Quite apart from all the clutch and gearbox woes I've chronicled on this forum about the Pugshot 406 HDi 110 I bought in the summer, I've now got a much more mundane one I'd appreciate help with - LEAKS!!!

I now have a new job near Coventry Airport that involves commuting there from Sutton Coldfield every day and its shift-work so the train or bus isn't an option for me!!!

When I got home from work the carpet on the passenger side was soaking wet underneath the passenger's seat - I've heard horror tales about Pug radiators, but are the heater matrices troublesome as well???!!!

Last week I went on holiday to Morecambe in it with my sister and brother-in-law, but my sister hadn't mentioned anything about wet floors tho!!!

Considering the amount of rain that's descended from the heavens in the past week or so, you'd need Noah's bloody Ark to get anywhere, never mind an ordinary car!!!

Can anyone suggest:-

1) The best way of drying the car insides out - Is it possible to remove the carpet completely so I can clean and dry it out inside, and if so what do I need to dismantle as well as the seats?

2) Has anyone else had any experience of this?

3) Given all the horror stories I've heard about Frog-wiring going all black inside and intermittent, not to mention the possibility of the floor-pan going rusty (I hope it hasn't already!!!) I'm naturally anxious to trace and bung up this leak pronto!!! Can anyone recommend a good brand of window sealer, if it needs it?

PS!!! I live seven floors up in a tower block so running electricity outside to run a fan-heater etc., isn't an option!!!

Chris Williams
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It will either be heater matrix (difficult*) or water ingress.

They are not known for water leaks though really around the seals. Check under passenger dash (just the bulkhead, look up from footwell area) , its possible the bonded screen is not as bonded as it should be.

A less common one is the door membrane. This is a sticky sheet under the trim panel, a lot of people do not repair this if they cut it to do anything inside the door, this can result in water leaks.

Examine door seals too.

Carpet removal is involved as you have to take seats / centre console out etc.

Is it antifreeze though ? , antifreeze feels 'greasy' and will also make the interior smell like cat pee or bad curry etc. Usually accompanied (turn a/c off) by it actually misting up instead of demisting (tiny vapour getting actually sprayed out of demisting vents)

A good rad sealant may provide a temporary fix if it is the matrix but they don't actually fail that often and your car is still relatively new for this issue, unless your coolant is in a terrible state which will advance the onset of this failure.

* its not actually 'difficult' but it is a very, very long job. Est 8 to 9 hours in a Peugeot garage, never mind 'at home'
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Cheers Andy!!!

I'll check the door plastics and have a feel up the bulkhead etc!!! I didn't know that the modern bonded screens can be imperfectly fitted and cause leaks tho!!! As the 'screen isn't cracked or chipped in any way could I get Autoglass to have a look at it free like they do the stone-chip repairs, or aren't windscreens easily rebondable once fitted?

The outside temperature has been 35-38 F for the past couple of days and certainly the water I mopped up from the carpet on the passenger's side was very cold and dirty-looking, (but not smelly tho!!!) and I presume coolant from the heater matrix'd be warm or even hot if the engine had been running!!!

I'll chronicle further developments on this as it may assist others!!!

Chris Williams
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is also the possibility that the drain for the ventilation/aircon is clogged and overflowing into the car if the scuttle trim is still firmly bonded onto the screen.
Chris56000
My Cars:

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

I rang my sister this morning and told her about the soggy carpet, and she thought exactly that as well, adding that it could be an accumulation of autumn leafery to blame!!!

Can you suggest whereabouts to check for the ventilation/air-con drainage please? I can't find anything about it in the Book Of Fairy Tales!!!

Chris Williams
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I can't personally as the last car I had this problem on was my GS, some 20 years ago. On that there was a little rubber 'thingy' in the wheel arch, squeezing that would release a flood of stinky water. leaves and associated crud.
The more recent models have the drain further down from what I have read. underneath the car at the rear of the engine bay somewhere (never looked on mine yet, tempting fate that. I park under trees and the air intake is always full of leaves, cherries and spinny jinnies :)
Someone will be along to point you in the right direction fairly soon.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Does the 406 not suffer from the same scuttle panel leaks as the Xantia does if not bonded tightly to the windscreen?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scheemy
My Cars:

Post by scheemy »

Are you sure its not the windscreen?

Remove the the side trims that go down the side of the windscreen and then run your hose pipe all the way around the windscreen while someone is inside the car looking for water leaks.