406 xu7jp4 wont start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skyclad

406 xu7jp4 wont start

Post by skyclad »

I've now convinced myself that the cambelt is OK :? So lets go back to basics.

My Pug started doing an erratic tickover thing. Normally runing ok no problems but occasionally it just refused to idle. When it did this I noticed when I turned off the ignition a whirring noise came from the throttle area and then when I started it again the idle would be ok.

I came out last thursday morning to start the car and it fired, stalled (no idle) then just refused to start at all. Took out the plugs (wet) checked the coil pack (sparks). I suspected the timing belt as it sounded very weak when turning the engine over (just a hunch) but I'm not convinced now, so I've left it alone.

Any suggestions or do I have to get a Pug person and their little computer... :?:

Its a 406 97 XU7JP4 1.8 16V engine
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi skyclad

the buzzing is almost definately the idle control valve.... and I would think that item is your first port of call for getting the car back to normal :)

remove and clean it first off I would say. to be honest it's one of the many parts of a car I have had little to do with.. but it does seem to give a few problems when it gets sticky or dirty

John
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

Cheers John. I will give that a go 2mor..
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 406 xu7jp4 wont start

Post by CitroJim »

skyclad wrote:I suspected the timing belt as it sounded very weak when turning the engine over (just a hunch) but I'm not convinced now, so I've left it alone.
This worries me. Are you saying the engine now sounds different when it is cranking over?

A broken cambelt usually makes the engine turn rather more freely on the starter and they can sometimes spin so fast that they make a whirrrrr rather than the normal urgh-urgh-urgh sort of sound.

Fact is, if you have sparks and fuel then all other things being equal, it should do something. Having said that, the mixture does not need to be far away from too rich or too weak before starting difficulties will be noted and there's nothing to say the sparks are occurring at the right time.

A diagnostically equipped person may be most valuable to rule out things like duff coolant temperature, MAP sensors and so on - both the former can wreak havoc with starting and idling...

I'd slip off the timing belt covers though, just to put your mind at rest.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

Stripped down the throttle housing. Checked the sensors stepper motor, throttle position etc. Apart from being covered in oil all seemed fine. Took out the MAP and that was covered in oil as well. Would this cause it to stop the engine firing? Cleaned everything and checked the wiring pipes etc. Will put it all back shortly.
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

skyclad wrote:Took out the MAP and that was covered in oil as well.
It could certainly make the car idle very poorly and by extension make it very hard to start...

Give it a good dose of carb cleaner, this sometimes crevives a sad one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I can only go on what i've heard here but i've heard that carb cleaner and MAP sensors don't mix well.

don't ask me why, i don't know, just going on hearsay
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
skyclad

Post by skyclad »

IT LIVES!! Sorry I had to shout that.....

My conclusion.

Sump relief blocked with gunge in the throttle body causing MAP to fill up with oil??

Bloody good clean sorted it.

Thanks fellow French Freaks Tre Bon :D
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

skyclad wrote:IT LIVES!! Sorry I had to shout that.....
Brilliant :D I'd shout it too but I'm at work so must be quiet :)
Jim

skyclad

Post by skyclad »

I used a plastic friendly solvent cleaner (chris570). You have to be carefull with this modern plastic built crap... I'll let you know if it disintegrates LOL.
Pug 406L 1997
Transit Campervan 1990
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

good good :)

if in doubt i prefer to err on the side of caution, especially with our french cars as they usually show their displeaure by doing something expensive ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'