pug 106 overheating problem.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

krsan
My Cars:

pug 106 overheating problem.

Post by krsan »

Hi all, just registered.
just after abit of advice really....
i have a 106 rallye mk1, recently the car temp is running vey hot. the temp gauge sit @ 3/4 and keep rising until the warning light come on and the fan kick off. The water is pouring out from the top of the radiator too. i know its not the radiator or the head gasket that causing this problem. i had the radiator checked, bled the cooling system and checked for air blocking by the local garage - none found. one of my mates said if it the head gasket that causing this problem i will see the white smoke come out from the exhaust?? and white sludge from the dipstick?? so far i found none of those.
So thats left with either the thermostat or the radiator cap.. am i right?? or you guys thinks it could be causing by other problems??
any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

It could be your head gasket!
The head gasket could blow between a cooloant channel and the combustion chamber, causing overheating and pressurisation of the cooling system as you are experiencing. Just beacause you are not having oil/water mixing it doesnt mean the head gasket hasnt gone. I would get your garage to check the coolant for any combustion gases, this will tell you for sure.
Fingers crossed!
Ben83
My Cars:

Post by Ben83 »

> the temp gauge sit @ 3/4 and keep rising until the warning light
> come on and the fan kick off
the fan should kick in long before the warning light comes on, so there could be a problem with the thermostat.
Cheers,
Ben.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Yes it could be the thermostat is jammed shut, the coolant boils and forces coolant out of the filler cap. Quick to check. Remove stat. and boil it in a pad. Should open at about 95deg.C
Unfortuately sounds more like the head gasket. Hot exhaust gases escaping into the coolant system; over pressurising the coolant, which then overflows through the radiator cap. Side affect - cylinder head coolant channels fill with gases so lack of coolant results in serious over-temperature situation. Garages can usually pressure test the cooling system, or do a compression test on each cylinder to spot one with low pressure.
krsan
My Cars:

Post by krsan »

i just had the radiator filler cap and the thermostate changed and the temp gauge sit bellow the 3/4 mark.The engine is not overheated anymore. Still, it goes from 0-3/4 in a short period of time. about 5-10mins or so of driving. Could this be the warn head gasket?? would it be possible to change the head gasket urself or its has to be down by the pro.?