406 fuel injection

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

buddy

406 fuel injection

Post by buddy »

can anybody help I have a 406 lx 2.1 dt the engine continuly revs its self up and down when driven or parked after atime it drops to normal tickover also if engine is reved it is slow to return to tickover(not nice to drive)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, a common problem.

You have an air leak on the fuel supply. This upsets the sensitive hydraulics in the EPIC pump and makes it do strange things.

If the air ingress gets too bad, the engine can run away and rev itself to oblivion...

Look for air leaks between the primer bulb, filter housing and pump. Conveniently, these pipes are usually translucent and it is easy to see if there is air therein. If you see streams of big bubbles, there's the problem. The prime suspects are the primer bulb, the filter housing or the pipes themselves.

Another favourite cause is perished rubber leakoff pipes between injectors, often a split dead-end cap on the end of No.1 injector. The game is often given away by wet diesel on and around the injector bodies. Replacement of these pipes unfortunately means the top half of the inlet manifold requires removal but it's vital these pipes are in good condition.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
toh
My Cars:

Post by toh »

That's Jim :D
LOVE is All AROUND.