306 - 1.9TD-white smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianb
My Cars:

306 - 1.9TD-white smoke

Post by ianb »

The cars' a 306 xrdt (1.9 td) '94 with 85k,
It's used daily on a 60 mile round journey on m'ways & dual carriegeways.
It's been running ok except this morning, I accelerated hard up a hill past a slower vehicle, it pulled ok but for the next 3 to 4 miles it was chucking out white smoke as I drove at a steady 60.
This cleared then the rest of the journey seemed ok although I did keep to a very steady speed,
Am I likely to have blown something or was it just clearing it's lungs so to speak, I don't normally push the revs above 3000 or so as I let the torque do the work.
Any thoughts anyone?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

White smoke can be caused by worn or dirty injectors. You could try some Miller's dieselclean or Redex diesel in your fuel tank. Injection timing being out would also produce white smoke, but if it started suddenly, you can forget that one. A head gasket leak will also show up with white or grey smoke. Check your header tank for any water loss.
ianb
My Cars:

Post by ianb »

John,
Thanks for your thoughts, I've had an oil & filter change, the old oil didn't seem to have been water-contaminated, I also changed the air filter, it was billed as replaced at the last service but looking at the condition of it I think it had been in service for a lot longer!
Anyway it seems a lot happier now, I've given it some welly in third gear up hills and it seems to have kicked the smoking habit.