306 starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pogbomb
My Cars:

306 starting problems

Post by pogbomb »

Can someone please help. I have a 1996 306 auto which has barely moved in six months. Two weeks a go i took it for a run and all was fine. This weekend i tried to start it and it just wont go. Its turning over but just wont start. I have replaced the battery but to no avail.
Thanks
Chris
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Just to clarify it is actually turning on the starter then ? (which rules out the inhibit switch)

Which shape is it (could be either at '96)

Have you got a keypad (fitted infront of the gear selector) ? , if so what colour light is on ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
pogbomb
My Cars:

Post by pogbomb »

Its the later of the two models, and yes the starter is turning.
Cheers
pogbomb
My Cars:

Post by pogbomb »

pogbomb wrote:Its the later of the two models, and yes the starter is turning.
Cheers
Yes its got a keypad and its green
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what engine/modle

regards malcolm
pogbomb
My Cars:

Post by pogbomb »

citronut wrote:what engine/modle

regards malcolm
1.8xt auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Check fuses next to right hand side of steering column. Assuming all OK

You either need an assistant or good hearing / quiet.

Ignition off. Wait at least 10 seconds if its just been on.

Listen around the drivers side (offside) rear wheel while someone switches the ignition on. You should hear a buzz for about 2 to 5 seconds. This is the fuel pump being primed. No noise = pump not working. Use test light / multimeter on terminals on pump plug (under rear seat I think) to determine if there is power there (again, only for a few seconds)

Assuming you do hear a noise, is there plenty of fuel ? (do not rely on gauge)

Examine multiplugs in engine bay. Examine fuses / relays (just unplug and replug them looking for water / corrosion / damage) in the +ve box (the box on the passenger side near the suspension turret.

Check for spark next. Remove a spark plug (or get a spare) connect one coil lead to it (any) , rest plug on block so the threads are in contact with earth but not the electrode.Do NOT hold plug. Crank engine (keypad green) while checking for decent spark.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
pogbomb
My Cars:

Post by pogbomb »

spider wrote:Check fuses next to right hand side of steering column. Assuming all OK

You either need an assistant or good hearing / quiet.

Ignition off. Wait at least 10 seconds if its just been on.

Listen around the drivers side (offside) rear wheel while someone switches the ignition on. You should hear a buzz for about 2 to 5 seconds. This is the fuel pump being primed. No noise = pump not working. Use test light / multimeter on terminals on pump plug (under rear seat I think) to determine if there is power there (again, only for a few seconds)

Assuming you do hear a noise, is there plenty of fuel ? (do not rely on gauge)

Examine multiplugs in engine bay. Examine fuses / relays (just unplug and replug them looking for water / corrosion / damage) in the +ve box (the box on the passenger side near the suspension turret.

Check for spark next. Remove a spark plug (or get a spare) connect one coil lead to it (any) , rest plug on block so the threads are in contact with earth but not the electrode.Do NOT hold plug. Crank engine (keypad green) while checking for decent spark.
i added some fuel at the weekend as it was very low, the fuel pump is working fine or at least it can be heard.
Will try the other things you mentioned latter.

Many thanks