406 hdi starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spherefear

406 hdi starting problem

Post by spherefear »

hi everyone, i have just bought a 2001 406 hdi awesome car, drives really nice, plenty of power, great to start when cold, but when hot it turns over for a very long time before it starts, really pleased it has a good battery on, if it didnt it wouldnt start, does anyone know why this is happening, or has anyone had the same problem? would be gratefull for any help, cheers, steve.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Glowplugs and / or glowplug relay.

It could be a fuel pressure issue but I'd expect in that case to see the engine management light on as it would record the fault.

I know the HDi's don't use the pre-heating system that much but when they do go it will cause starting issues. I'd start with new glowplugs myself and the relay too (if its not too expensive) , I had one before that did this and changing these did fix it they said.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Unlikely to be a glowplug fault causing this on an HDi. More likely is either a fault with the fuel rail pressure sensor, the fuel pressure regulator in the HP pump, a cracked injector, or a duff LP pump in the tank that packs up when it's warm. If you can get it on a diagnostic computer with live data, watch the fuel pressure to see what happens - the ECU won't start injecing till it gets to 120 bar (I think that's the figure). If the rail sensor or regulator are faulty it often runs on too, as the ECU doesn't cut the injection till the rail pressure is down to 120 bar as well. A cracked injector can cause the rail pressure to leak off rather fast so that the pump cannot make the required pressure at cranking speed. You can check the leak off rates of the injectors by fitting tubes running up to a propped up bonnet, or into small pots to see if one is leaking (a lot) more than the others.
Richard W