Diesel pump woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevgriggs
My Cars:

Diesel pump woes

Post by kevgriggs »

Hi all, I have just posted in the wanted section, but if anyone has any other suggestions I would be greatful.

I have managed to damage my diesel pump whilst removing it to de-armour. I dropped it :oops: and now it leaks like a sieve :cry: .

All I know is that the numbers are:

Part number 0 460 484 146, other numbers on the pump are R425-18, XUD211, 015 092, and finally 609833.

Is there anyone who knows the whereabouts of a spare, or someone local who could help me rebuild it for a coupe of beers? Other than this minor problem the van is a cracker for what I paid, and I would be sad to have to scrap it off over a pump.

I have tried ebay (searching for what I can think of) but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Kev, can you pop up a picture or three of the pump please and if possible, the spot from where it is leaking. This will allow an positive ID and if you can indicate the leaky area, the chances of a repair being successful.

I suspect you've cracked it. Did it land on the delivery valves?

Why were you trying to de-armour it?

It looks, from the number, that it's a member of the Bosch VP20 family and these are common enough and fitted to loads of PSA engines.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

Thanks Jim, I'll grab a couple of pictures and post them up tomorrow. The closest match I have found is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bosch-Diesel-fuel ... 2a0a8107da

at least it looks identical.

I was removing the armour because it has the (apparently common) immobiliser fault - when hot it wouldn't take the code from the transponder... A couple of gallons of water over it would cool it down, then it was fine again!? Thought it best to remove the armour, and rip out the electronics, then replace with a switched live to the solenoid.

I decided to remove it after reading the rebuild thread MikeT and yourself contributed too.

I think it is cracked, as although I can't pinpoint the leak, it seems to be coming from either the rod that the throttle arm turns, or the seal between the upper and lower parts of the casing (strangely not at the high pressure end around the delivery valves).

I am gutted, as I really was worried about taking it out (first time took me a good couple of hours), but now I can get it in/out in 20 mins or less. :lol:
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

Jim, here are some pics of mine (not great, but the best I have right now):

2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Kev,

I have a pump that looks exactly like that in my stash. I have no idea of it's condition but believed good. Sadly, this week I have no time to overhaul it but if you want it, it's yours for the cost of postage or collection.

Just before we go there, I will need to know the diamater of the driveshaft at the widest part of the taper, just before the oil seal. Then I can confirm the pump I have is the same.

Postage will be about £15 first-class..

Let me know if you want it. The eBay one is the same but a tad dear at £100 and it'll need de-armouring before use...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

That's great news Jim, thanks - I will check the shaft diameter this evening and let you know.

Can you shed any light on the part numbering? The only bit I am aware of is the 6/7 digit being plunger size and number of cylinders fed...!?
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

Hi Jim, to confirm, it's 16.98mm.

Hope I measured the right bit!

Kev
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's it Kev :D It's the same pump I have here.

Send me your address in a PM and I'll get it in the post...
Jim

kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

What a star you are :D

PM on its way!
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Kev,

Sorry, bad news I'm afraid. I've just tried to test it on the bench and it's seized up absolutely solid :(

I'll need to strip it and overhaul it, hoping it is just seized because of gum deposits and not for a more serious reason.

Sadly, I have very little time this week to do this. How much of a hurry are you in?
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

kevgriggs wrote:What a star you are :D

PM on its way!
PM replied Kev...
Jim

kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

Well then, a little update for you all - might make you laugh, you never know.

After the issues Jim had with his spare pump, I bought a replacement - it arrived in the week and I fitted it today - it too leaked like a sieve from the throttle arm shaft. :(

I decided to go back to the original pump and see what could be done to fix the leak there, so I started on disassembly. I only removed the governor cover, applied a little instant gasket to the mating faces, and replaced th O-ring on the throttle shaft. All went back together well.

Pump fitted and once primed didn't leak, so I though I had it cracked. All back together and it started up first time - but now I have no throttle response - I move the arm manually and nothing...

Any idea what I have done wrong? I'm losing the will to live with this one!!
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Kev,

I doubt this is serious. I'll almost wager that the problem is that you did not engage the throttle rod and spring assembly with the throttle plate so when you move the lever, no motion is transmitted to the plate so you end up with idle and nothing else...

This picture may help. The rod and springset that is operated by the throttle lever has to be engaged in the slot in the vertical throttle plate as shown by the green arrow.

The rod has a flat to allow it to drop in the slot initially and then the rod needs to be rotated through 90 degrees to hold it in place.

Sorry to hear your eBay pump was a bit of a failure :( It can be repaired though, just needs new seals.
Jim

kevgriggs
My Cars:

Post by kevgriggs »

Hi Jim, that was my thinking I'm going to have a go at da repair on the car as I have left the armour off so I'm hoping I can do it - Nothing much to lose!!

I'll keep you posted :-)

Kev
2001 Peugeot Boxer 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All the best with it Kev, it's not as hard as it might look and any advice/help you need, just shout...
Jim