205TD - Bizarre tachometer issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

205TD - Bizarre tachometer issue

Post by spider »

First of all, big post :D , but I wanted to cover everything. Apologies in advance if you have a headache.

91 (later shape) 205TD

Last week, my tacho stopped working. Well it started to just drop to zero when going along and then sometimes come back to life (a loose connection type of thing)

Eventually it died all together. The TDC sensor was only about 18 months old (I replaced it at the time of doing a clutch, more out of habit than anything else)

So I thought, its just bad luck. Got another one (geniune, new) and fitted that.

No better :oops:

Very occasionally it will work, but not at startup. On say a journey of 30 miles or so it might work for about a minute

It's not heat related (as if its not going to work, it wont) and its fitted properly (although the plastic fixing is a bit um poor, I may have to grab one but I tried the 'wiggle test' with that)

The wiring is good and out of the way of anything that could pick up interference. I remember this happened on a 406 once, although on said 406 if you unplugged the glowplug relay and then started the car (warm obviously) it would work.

No such luck with that on mine (although being an early DT, the glowplug relay is not where it normally is on a 205 due to the filter, early ones like mine live right down near the nearside wheel arch)

To cut a long story short ( ! ) , the wiring is OK as far as I can tell to the panel. There is an amplifier module in these (rare-ish as its GTi style) panels, although testing that I cannot do.

My next thought is to get ahold of any PSA D panel and do a temporary wiring job to check to see if the fault is actually in my panel area or not, although I do think its not.

The step after that will be to shorten substantially the wiring as there's a fair bit of excess due to the nature of the sensors (fitted to all XUDs, the same ones) as my TDC plug on the loom is only used for that, if that makes sense so I can lose the plug / socket join and hardwire it to the loom (saving a foot of cable too) just incase it is acting as an aerial.

Just wondered really, if anyone can shed any light on this and anything really obvious I may have overlooked. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Well, its started to work again, since I re-seated the multiplugs on the instrument panel (I had to change a couple of bulbs in there) so obviously I unplugged them to reach behind (did not take speedo cable off, although I do not know why some say this is difficult on these, is not just need a couple of small terminal screwdrivers to 'assist' you)

Quite what was wrong with them I am not sure as the wiring into the plugs was good (I mean the pins were not loose) and the flexi-pcb was good.

Anyway tis working now ( :D ) so as they say "If it ain't broken..." ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG