406...awful knock when setting off

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woodhead722

406...awful knock when setting off

Post by woodhead722 »

i heard the slightest of clicks when setting off at a junction. Within 2/3 miles of stop start it progress to a bad knock when starting or releasing throttle (in gear). i.e engine drives wheels / wheels drive engine

First guess was whell nuts loose.

Then I noticed gear lever moving a lot when releasing clutch to set off.

At a crude guess i would say a lower engine mounting or some similar bush doing the same sort of job. The engine SEEMS to have a lot of movement when rocked on its top.

Garages locally close this weekend, so i welcome suggestions because when they open I do not want to travel far and will ask at garage before taking car.

THANKS!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the lower engine stabaliser bush would be the first thing to check, if your car has an oil leak above the bush, the bush will almost certainly have turned to jelly,

i have also seen movement at the smaller bush at the sub frame end of the stabaliser link/arm, this was in the bolt eye and not the actual bush,

regards malcolm
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

found it!

It is the lower engine stabilizer area, and it appears the bolt through the bush is missing.

Just got to check with those 'in the profession' that it just needs a bolt tho' to attach the bar through the bush.

Thanks for your help!